Updated My Xbox LIVE iOS app brings console control to iPadIn an update to its Xbox LIVE iOS app on Tuesday, Microsoft added support for the iPad bringing remote control capabilities first seen in the app's iPhone version to Apple's tablet.
While the update is a far cry from Microsoft's SmartGlass Xbox companion app, a cross-platform program meant to enhance interactivity between the console and mobile devices, Tuesday's My Xbox LIVE update brings a handful of useful features to the iPad, reports Engadget.
When the app first launched in December 2011, the app was limited to basic functions like Xbox LIVE content browsing, friend list access and message editing. Version 1.5, released in June, brought Xbox Companion remote control functionality to the iPhone as well as high-resolution image support for the iPad.
The most recent version 1.6 adds the missing Companion feature to the iPad, allowing users to launch games, browse Xbox LIVE video content, play DVDs or videos and navigate the console's UI. Most of the Metro interface seen on Windows Phone handsets has made its way to the virtual remote control, though the iPad app's digital D-pad and Xbox-centric function buttons are all but swallowed by the tablet's 9-inch screen.
Screenshot of My Xbox LIVE device pairing instructions.
Also not present is any trace of AirPlay-like capabilities like screen sharing or video interactivity, but those features should arrive when the promised SmartGlass launches later this year.
Microsoft's My Xbox LIVE app update weighs in at 27MB and can be downloaded for free through the App Store.
On Topic: Microsoft
- Google's search deal with Apple expires in early 2015, could bring new default to Safari
- Microsoft highlights lack of new Siri features to promote Cortana in new ad
- Apple's MacBook Air continues to bear the brunt of Microsoft's Surface ad budget
- Review: Microsoft's health tracking, iOS-compatible Band
- After losing Apple's iPad business, Intel has bled $7 billion while heavily subsidizing cheap x86 Atom Android tablets