Updated My Xbox LIVE iOS app brings console control to iPadIn an update to its Xbox LIVE iOS app on Tuesday, Microsoft added support for the iPad bringing remote control capabilities first seen in the app's iPhone version to Apple's tablet.
While the update is a far cry from Microsoft's SmartGlass Xbox companion app, a cross-platform program meant to enhance interactivity between the console and mobile devices, Tuesday's My Xbox LIVE update brings a handful of useful features to the iPad, reports Engadget.
When the app first launched in December 2011, the app was limited to basic functions like Xbox LIVE content browsing, friend list access and message editing. Version 1.5, released in June, brought Xbox Companion remote control functionality to the iPhone as well as high-resolution image support for the iPad.
The most recent version 1.6 adds the missing Companion feature to the iPad, allowing users to launch games, browse Xbox LIVE video content, play DVDs or videos and navigate the console's UI. Most of the Metro interface seen on Windows Phone handsets has made its way to the virtual remote control, though the iPad app's digital D-pad and Xbox-centric function buttons are all but swallowed by the tablet's 9-inch screen.
Screenshot of My Xbox LIVE device pairing instructions.
Also not present is any trace of AirPlay-like capabilities like screen sharing or video interactivity, but those features should arrive when the promised SmartGlass launches later this year.
Microsoft's My Xbox LIVE app update weighs in at 27MB and can be downloaded for free through the App Store.
On Topic: Microsoft
- Ahead of Apple Watch, Microsoft beefs up its Band with new cycling trackers, blood oxygen calculator
- Apple's lobbying costs grew to $1.24M in Q1, still lag well behind rivals
- PowerPoint & TripIt update with Apple Watch functions, Excel for iPhone gets comments
- Chrome for iOS adds Today widget, Halo comes to iPhone and iPad for first time
- Microsoft updates Office 2016 for Mac Preview, intros new iPhone apps for Office 365