High-quality images claim to show 'iPad mini' housing in detailNew photos claiming to show the machined aluminum back casing bound for a rumored 7.85-inch iPad hit the web on Wednesday, adding to the mountain of purported leaks relating to Apple's fall iDevice lineup.
While the pictures from Chinese website digi.163 (via nowhereelse.fr) appear to match previous images of the so-called "iPad mini," closer inspection of the part reveals slight discrepancies regarding the rumored tablet's design.
Perhaps most obvious is the placement of the headphone jack, which was thought to be located at the bottom of the device alongside the device's dock connector and repositioned speakers. Pictures of a large flex cable allegedly meant for the smaller iPad surfaced last month, clearly showing the 3.5mm jack situated adjacent to the new 9-pin connector.
Interestingly, recent images of alleged iPad mini cases corroborate the top-mounted headphone jack design. Those same photos also showed an opening for a rear-facing camera and a mysterious small hole, the use of which is not yet known.
Also seen in the fresh photos are cut-outs for the unit's volume and power button, a rear-facing camera, speaker assembly and a smaller dock connector.
There are a number of possibilities as to why Wednesday's photos don't line up with the previous flex cable images, including a redesign or the illegitimacy of one of the supposedly leaked parts.
Apple is rumored to be launching the 7.85-inch iPad in October, with the device expected to be as thin as the iPod touch while retaining some of the media player's design assets like thinner bezels.
On Topic: General
- Review: 'Steve Jobs' an electric depiction of Apple's enigmatic founder
- This week on AppleInsider: 13 million iPhones, OS X El Capitan, Bell on board & more
- Apple enhances Siri team with purchase of VocalIQ, a car-focused British speech tech firm
- Apple, Inc. massively expanding its iCloud data centers in Nevada, Oregon
- AppleInsider podcast goes hands-on with iPhone 6s, talks 3D Touch, music subscriptions, more