Apple's 2013 Design Awards announced, 'Evernote' and 'Yahoo! Weather' among winnersComing hours after the WWDC keynote, the annual Apple Design Awards results were announced, with big names like Evernote and Yahoo! Weather being among the best apps on iOS and Mac OS X for 2013.
The awards, which were handed out at the Presidio Monday night, celebrated those iPhone, iPad and Mac apps released within the last year that demonstrated "technical excellence, innovation and outstanding design."
In all, 11 apps made the cut, including two submissions from student developers. In addition, this year also saw applications for student scholarships, with winners getting a free pass to attend WWDC in San Francisco. Entrants only had eight days to come up with an app that described their experience and backgrounds.
2013 Apple Design Awards (as listed on Apple's webpage):
- WWF Together
- Yahoo! Weather
- Ridiculous Fishing
- SkyGamblers: Storm Raiders (iOS, OS X)
- Coda 2
- Evernote (iOS, OS X)
As for the student scholarship showcase, Apple featured three submissions: 17-year-old Louis Harboe's "My Adventure book," 19-year-old Bryan Keller's eponymous "Bryan Keller," and 13-year-old Puck Meerbug's "WWDC."
On Topic: General
- AppleInsider podcast discusses Apple's presence in China, Samsung Galaxy S6, mobile payment news, more
- Apple to reportedly bolster iAd user targeting with phone numbers and emails
- Apple researching device waterproofing via vapor deposition, silicone seals
- Judges skeptical Apple suffered irreparable harm from Samsung patent infringement
- Judge approves $415M settlement in 'no-poach' class-action case involving Apple, Google, others