RadioShack and Walmart match Best Buy's $50 iPhone 5c discountFollowing a move by big box retailer Best Buy, RadioShack and Walmart have announced they too will be slashing prices on Apple's mid-range iPhone, the iPhone 5c, putting the on-contract price for the device at or below $50.
The two retailers revealed their discount prices for the iPhone 5c on Friday, with RadioShack announcing that it will begin matching Best Buy's iPhone 5c deal on Saturday. In-store iPhone 5c purchasers will be able to get a $50 gift card applicable toward the purchase of their device. For an on-contract 5c, that will bring the cost to $50. RadioShack's promotion will run through November 2.
Meanwhile, Walmart has announced that its already discounted iPhone 5c will now sell for $45. In dropping the price to $45, Walmart has knocked nearly 50 percent off of an on-contract price that was already $20 lower than the cost to purchase the phone through Apple and most other outlets.
Friday's announcements mean the polycarbonate-backed iPhone 5c is now available for $50 or less at three retailers: Best Buy, RadioShack, and Walmart. Customers taking advantage of those deals are still eligible to participate in the iPhone trade-in programs available at all three chains, earning up to $300 in store credit for an older model iPhone. The trade-in initiative is only available in select locations.
On Topic: iPhone
- More Android-to-iPhone switchers coming from international markets - report
- Apple, Samsung now tied for the title of world's largest smartphone maker
- Samsung's mobile profits plunge 64.2% after Apple's iPhone 6 devastates premium Galaxy sales
- Qualcomm lowers revenue forecasts as Apple squeezes its best customers
- Apple shipped one billionth iOS device in Q1, expects continued iPhone momentum