Apple's Jony Ive and designer Marc Newson detail upcoming (RED) auction in videoAuction house Sotheby's released a short teaser of its upcoming (RED) charity auction on Monday, with curators Jony Ive and Marc Newson describing how they selected and, in some cases, created the pieces up for bid.
Apple SVP of Design Jony Ive (right) discusses design with fellow design superstar and (RED) auction collaborator Marc Newson.
The (RED) auction will feature a number of products ranging from a surfboard to a red anodized Mac Pro that showcase what Ive and Newson believe to be some of the best examples of modern design.
"The criteria that we both had was we both wanted to own each one really badly," Ive explained.
As noted in the video, many of the pieces have been "tinkered with" to add a bit of (RED) flair, while others are true one-offs like the aluminum-bodied Leica M digital rangefinder camera. Ive said in an October interview that he expects the camera could fetch up to $6 million on the block.
For those who can afford it, the auction is a chance to own works made in collaboration between two of this century's most important designers. U2 frontman Bono is putting on the auction as part of his (RED) fund, which is well for its partnership with major retailers, including Apple.
The charity event, being called "Jony and Marc's (RED) Auction," will take place next Monday with benefits going to the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria.
On Topic: General
- Best Buy slashes $100 off iPad Air 2 (from $399), $200 off MacBook Pro with CD/DVD ($899), $150 off iMacs (from $899)
- Natalie Portman rumored for troubled Steve Jobs biopic
- Judge rules Apple entitled to potential ongoing royalties from patent-infringing Samsung products
- Union pushes Apple for better treatment of campus security guards
- More secrets could come from GT Advanced bankruptcy as Apple divulges details to creditors