FileMaker 13 launches with browser-based support via HTML5, new tools for iPhone & iPad
FileMaker, Inc., on Tuesday launched the next major update to its database software, with the new FileMaker 13 packing in more than 50 new features, including WebDirect, an entirely new browser-based technology for easier access.
FileMaker 13 is promised to make it faster and easier than ever for teams to create tailored business solutions across platforms, including iPad, iPhone, Windows, Mac, and now the Web. Available immediately, FileMaker 13 is priced at $329, while updates are available for $179. Monthly prices start at $9 for FileMaker Pro, $15 for FileMaker Pro Advanced, and $29 for FileMaker Server.
"With FileMaker 13, any team can quickly create custom solutions that streamline their business processes while minimizing design time," said Ryan Rosenberg, vice president of marketing and services for FileMaker, Inc. "The FileMaker 13 Platform gives organizations even more options for delivering powerful but easy-to-use solutions, including breakthrough web technology, along with impressive new design tools for iOS and desktops."
Features of the new software, according to FileMaker, include:
- FileMaker WebDirect, an entirely new, HTML5 browser-based technology that allows teams to create and deploy desktop-style solutions in a web browser with no programming skills required.
- Tools to create amazing iPad and iPhone solutions that support even more iOS behaviors, including slide controls, popovers and the ability to scan records using gestures. iPad and iPhone layouts can now be created in one step; and iOS solutions can include single-click capture of bar codes using on-device cameras and custom keyboards that speed data entry.
- Major improvements to design capabilities, including support for shareable custom themes and styles, and the ability to drag and drop data fields onto design layouts.
- More robust security, with AES 256-bit encryption that locks down data no matter where it lives - on iPad, iPhone, desktop or server. FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced is used to enable encryption.
- Dozens of new enhancements for solution developers, from the ability to hide or display objects on a screen based on business logic to easier integration with web applications.
- Simplified server administration, including an entirely new HTML5 administrative console in FileMaker Server 13 for managing business solutions from anywhere.
The official FileMaker Go app for iPhone and iPad is available for free on the iOS App Store. Server concurrent connections for FileMaker Go or FileMaker WebDirect cost $25 per 5-pack, per month, and are available from FileMaker and software resellers.