This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Neil talk about the latest OS updates, Facebook privacy in light of moves Apple is making, and Victor interviews Yoav Degani of MyPermissions, a company whose mission is to make privacy settings easier for users.
- WatchOS 4.3, iOS 11.3, TvOS 11.3, and HomePod all received updates. No High Sierra update as yet, though. Of note: WatchOS gains audio browsing on iPhone back, a cool portrait night mode, and we discuss the battery settings in iOS that are now available.
- iOS and TvOS also have a new privacy icon, and a page introducing it to the user post-update.
- Apple News takes the step to highlight vetted articles in a light blue background and pin them to the top, as a way of fighting back fake news. Clearly, Apple is taking into account what's going on over at Facebook.
- Tim Cook spoke out about Cambridge Analytica not too long ago. There are times where Tim is soft-spoken, but he doesn't seem to mince words here.
- Yoav Degani and Omer Yarkowich of MyPermissions, a privacy app for social media accounts, join us to talk about Facebook and others, and what they're trying to do to help users take back some of their privacy.
- Apple is already working to comply with the EU's GDPR, and allow users to download their profiles and iCloud data.
- The Chicago Education event was sort of like a mini-WWDC, and Victor and Neil talk through the new iPad, the tools for teachers, and whether or not this will have an impact on Chromebook in the classroom.
- Foxconn buys up Belkin, Linksys, and Wemo. Victor has some thoughts on the consolidation in the market.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- watchOS 4.3 update for Apple Watch arrives with new portrait Nightstand mode, iPhone music browsing
- iOS 11.3 with battery improvements, ARKit 1.5, HomeKit authentication now available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
- Tim Cook speaks out on Cambridge Analytica debacle, calls for stricter consumer privacy safeguards
- MyPermissions.com, the site built by Yoav Degani, who speaks with us about reclaiming privacy.
- MyPermissions on the App Store
- Apple will let users download all iCloud and Apple ID data to comply with new European rules [u]
- Apple Health Records rolls out in iOS 11.3 to praise from doctors in 39 health groups
- At Chicago 'Field Trip' event, Apple emphasized education remains 'a big part of who we are'
- Apple took us to school with iPad at special event demonstration
- Logitech's $49 'Crayon' stylus for iPad, Rugged Combo 2 keyboard case coming soon [u]
- Apple supplier Foxconn buys Belkin, Linksys, Wemo for $866M
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].