Apple on Thursday released another developer-only macOS Sierra 10.12.2 beta, the second one in three days, and the sixth overall.
Thursday, December 08, 2016
Microsoft on Thursday brought another productivity app to iOS, its diagramming tool Visio, while promising an enhanced iPhone version of its voice assistant, Cortana.
With contractors working to finish Apple's new Campus 2 headquarters in time for an early 2017 grand opening, the company has given employees a peek inside the efforts with a series of new photos.
Apple CEO Tim Cook has agreed to deliver the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's 2017 commencement address to graduates of the class of 2017 on Friday, June 9.
Adobe has issued an update to the macOS and iOS versions of Lightroom, adding one-handed editing features for the iPhone, with similar changes coming to the Mac and iPad in a later revision.
Apple's chief rival in on-demand music, Spotify, has backed away from trying to buy another important player in the space, SoundCloud, according to a report.
Prices on Apple products are steadily rising as the holiday shopping season begins to wind down. But there's still time for shoppers to save between $250 and $550 on orders for Apple's high-end 15" MacBook Pros with Touch Bar and AppleCare by combining our exclusive coupon codes with the benefit of no sales tax on out-of-state orders. A few configurations are in stock and ready to ship.
ChargePoint — claiming to run the world's biggest network of EV charging stations — on Thursday announced its addition to Apple Maps, letting Mac and iOS device owners quickly find a station if their electric car is beginning to run low.
Hot on the heels of Niantic teasing the addition of more creatures to capture, the Pokemon Go developer has announced deals with both Starbucks and Sprint, making stores from both companies in-game features.
Potentially beating Apple to the punch in some regards, Samsung's next flagship — the Galaxy S8 — will allegedly have an edge-to-edge, bezel-free display in all forms, and omit a physical home button in favor of a "virtual" one embedded in the glass.
Apple chip manufacturing partner TSMC is in the early stages of planning a $15.7 billion microchip fabrication plant, in an effort to glean more business from from Apple and other companies needing advanced chip designs.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $130 to $350 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $130 and $350 on pre-orders for every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
Thursday, December 08, 2016
Apple has entered into a joint venture with wind turbine maker Xinjiang Goldwind Science & Technology — better known as Goldwind — that should help bring more clean energy to its Chinese suppliers.
Stars John Hodgman, Justin Long and the ad team responsible for Apple's 'Mac vs. PC' campaign — launched in conjunction with the Intel Mac — recently got together and talked about the evolution of the concept, other celebrity ad campaigns proposed and scuttled, and the difficulties of working with perfectionist Steve Jobs.
Nintendo's highly-anticipated "Super Mario Run" will be available to all users on Dec. 15, but until then, people anxious to play the game can head to an Apple Store for a few minutes of hands-on time with the title.
In one of the first pieces of documentation proving Apple's investigation into autonomous vehicles, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday published a patent application describing a basic collision avoidance system that could one day serve as the underpinnings of a self-driving car telemetry solution.
An Apple invention published Thursday fleshes out the folding iPhone concept revealed in a separate patent grant last week, adding features like a wraparound display and touch sensitive structures to all external surfaces.
Apple on Wednesday appeared in Chinese court to defend its iPhone 6 from patent infringement charges leveled by now insolvent tech firm Shenzhen Baili, arguing that the Beijing Intellectual Property Office defied legal convention in its decision to ban sales of the device.
Wednesday, December 07, 2016
The Bluetooth Special Interest Group officially ratified the Bluetooth 5 standard on Wednesday, meaning Apple's next iPhone and iPad models could boast wireless accessory connectivity up to four times the distance of current specification devices at double the speed.
A report on Wednesday claims Apple is in late-stage talks with the National Hockey League to bring iPads and supporting backend infrastructure to team benches, a deal similar to one struck with Major League Baseball earlier this year.
Shoppers this week can snap up instant savings plus free expedited shipping and no tax outside NY on iPad Pros and MacBooks (with savings of up to $150). First-gen Apple Watch Sport models are also marked down starting at $199 and select Late 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar systems are in stock and ready to ship.
Although technically refusing to repatriate its international revenue to avoid taxes, Apple is actually keeping much of it in the U.S. in the form of bonds — and generating interest in the process, a report pointed out on Wednesday.
One day after Apple released its new single sign-on feature for tvOS and iOS device owners, longtime partner Disney and its ABC subsidiary added app compatibility with the new authentication service.
Apple has been attacked throughout the year for failing to jump on the Virtual Reality headset bandwagon following Facebook, Samsung, Google, HTC, Microsoft, Sony and others. Yet after a year of hype, VR headsets remain a niche that's failing to live up to even conservative expectations.
Contrary to recent predictions, a report on Wednesday claims the biggest changes coming to Apple's next-generation iPhone models are an upgraded "A11" SoC and new red color option, with the forthcoming handset likely to carry over the design language introduced with iPhone 7.
Apple has reportedly reached a deal to open a major new store at the Carnegie Library in Washington, D.C., a building some 113 years old sitting across from the Washington Convention Center.
Apple could potentially offer iTunes rentals for movies that are still in theatres, a report said on Wednesday, which would give it a rare advantage over other rental platforms.
Wireless carrier T-Mobile has started a beta of Digits — a service that allows multiple phone numbers to be utilized in conjunction on one device, or one phone number to be shared across multiple devices on a carrier-level. The company recommends, however, that beta participants disable iMessage while using it.
In an invitation-only meeting at Tuesdays Neural Information Processing Systems conference, Apple's head of machine learning broke down Apple's specific goals for its artificial intelligence developments, and detailed where it feels it has an advantage of its competitors, giving a rare look at Apple's research process.
Our exclusive holiday deals keep rolling in: This week, save $169 to $369 on current-generation 27-inch iMac 5Ks (Late 2015) paired with AppleCare extended protection plans, or take $169 to $219 off 21.5-inch iMac 4Ks paired with AppleCare. Alteratively, pick up an iMac 5K by itself for $1,624 or an iMac 4K for $1,460 — all with free shipping and no sales tax outside NY and NJ.
Apple recently made changes to its service scheduling process, and is now allowing users to make appointments with certified third parties and the remaining Apple Specialists for repair and support.
Apple on Wednesday issued a seventh beta of iOS 10.2 to developers and the public, a mere two days after releasing the sixth one.
New research data shows that Apple's iOS saw a significant sales percentage boost with the release of the iPhone 7 family, with year-over-year sales growth in a three-month measurement period ending in October.
Last month saw the App Store achieve a new monthly sales record, Apple's senior VP of worldwide marketing said on Wednesday.
In Stock Alert: Apple's high-end 15" MacBook Pro (2.7GHz 16GB 512GB Radeon 455) in Space Gray & Silver
Looking to purchase one of Apple's high-end 15-inch MacBook Pros with Touch Bar but seeking instant gratification? You could be in luck: Apple authorized reseller B&H Photo has just taken receipt of several new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models — including the (2.7GHz 16GB 512GB Radeon 455) configuration — which are ready to ship out tomorrow with free expedited shipping and no sales tax in 49 states.
In email response to a customer regarding GPU anomalies associated with the Touch Bar MacBook Pro, Apple's senior VP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi suggested that the problem is solved in the latest macOS 10.12.2 beta.
Taking a cue from Nintendo, Sony's PlayStation division is reportedly aiming to launch six games for iOS and Android in the financial year starting in April.
New details about Fitbit's buyout of Pebble have emerged, namely that the deal is more about acquiring software and talent the company needs to fight Apple in the wearable arena, and less about the Pebble product line.
Apple's primary assembly partner, Foxconn, will soon invest in expanding its U.S. operations, the latter company said on Wednesday, apparently following in the steps of a similar SoftBank announcement.
- Last call! Flash Deal: 2015 13" MacBook Pro for $1,124 with free shipping & no tax outside NY & NJ
- Trio of new AMD GPU references for possible Mac refresh found in latest macOS Sierra beta
- Apple selects 'Best of 2016' apps, movies, iBooks and more
- Apple Pay now works with Square Cash 'virtual debit cards'
- Apple Pay now accepted at 35% of US merchants, coming to Gap and more in 2017
- Pandora unveils $9.99/month Premium on-demand streaming service, to launch in early 2017
- Apple Music surpasses 20M subscribers after 17 months of service [u]
- Exclusive Deals: Save up to $140 on 2016 12" MacBooks + free Magic Mouse 2 offer
- iPhones account for 8 of top 10 cameras in 2016 Flickr report, Apple celebrates by offering Portrait mode tips
- Apple single sign-on feature goes live with support from 9 pay TV providers
- Apple agrees to pay $450K to settle charges of mishandling e-waste in California
- Shanghai consumer agency reports spontaneous iPhone 6 fires, Apple refutes claim
- Apple adds four more providers to single sign-on support in iOS 10.2 & tvOS 10.1 [u]
- Trump says SoftBank to invest $50B in US, hopes to create 50,000 jobs
- Trump, Thiel invite Silicon Valley executives to round-table discussion in NYC
- Deals: 32GB iPad Air 2 for $379; 13" MacBook Air for $899; 13" MacBook Pro for $1,349
- Fifth developer-only beta of tvOS 10.1 now available for download
- Mophie launches Juice Pack Air cases for iPhone 7 & 7 Plus
- Google updates iPhone search app with changes intended to boost usage, customization
- Instagram introduces comment & profile control features, anonymous reporting for self-injury
- Apple AI researchers gagged no more, now allowed to publish and confer with colleagues
- New study on holiday wearables sales gives Apple Watch dominant revenue lead
- Supreme Court sides with Samsung over Apple, says payments shouldn't cover whole device profits [u]
- Amazon could open over 2,000 grocery stores in massive retail push
- Samsung said to be following iPhone 7 by courageously omitting headphone jack in 'Galaxy S8'
- Impending iOS update to help diagnose additional iPhone battery shutdowns
- Independent Galaxy Note 7 analysis theorizes that too-tight battery led to inevitable failures
- Tim Cook refutes negative IDC Apple Watch report, says early holiday sales set new record
- Apple's 'Romeo and Juliet' ad puts iPhone 7 Plus camera in focus
- Netflix top grossing iPhone app after enabling content downloads
- Cloud accounting firm Xero adds Apple Pay invoice payment option
- Apple iCloud account sign-in, web apps suffer hours-long outage [u]
- Procreate for iPad updates with major layer enhancements, Photoshop import & more
- CBS CEO Les Moonves 'not unreasonable,' assumes DirecTV Now deal probable
- Apple issues new public & developer iOS 10.2, macOS 10.12.2 betas, plus dev-only watchOS 3.1.1 beta
- App Store highlights titles with support for single sign-on in iOS 10.2
- Apple adds Minneapolis-Saint Paul transit directions to Apple Maps
- Apple Watch market share falling amongst fitness trackers, holding steady with smartwatches
- Netflix uses 'chunk' analysis on downloaded video to save space, retain quality on iPhone
- South Korean developers complain Apple's iOS app refund terms causing financial problems
- Apple to open seventh Shanghai store on Dec. 10
- Apple adds basic support for Touch Bar in beta Web-based iCloud Photo Library
- Burglars ram SUV into Palo Alto Apple store in smash-and-grab raid
- UK police turn to stealing in-use iPhones from suspects on the street, bypassing encryption
- Examined: FileMaker Pro 15 ecosystem for macOS, Windows, and iOS
- Review: Powerbeats3 with Apple W1 chip are the most reliable Bluetooth headphones we've ever used
- This week on AI: 'iPhone 8' plans, Apple Maps drone fleet, MacBook Pro performance shootout & more
- Apple expresses interest in autonomous vehicle testing in letter to NHTSA
Tuesday, December 06, 2016
Monday, December 05, 2016
Sunday, December 04, 2016
Saturday, December 03, 2016