A U.S. patent application published on Thursday reveals Apple is actively researching ways to make its products resistant to moisture, a feature sometimes attributed to "active" smartphone models marketed by competing smartphone manufacturers.
Thursday, March 05, 2015
While rumors surrounding Apple's purported 12-inch MacBook Air have died down amid Apple Watch hype, a new report on Wednesday claims partner manufacturers have already started mass production of the device in preparation of a second quarter launch.
Following reports that claimed Apple was forced to push back its production timeline for a larger 12.9-inch iPad, new rumors suggest the company is looking to incorporate USB 3.0 connectivity and possibly ports for keyboards and a mouse.
Apple has singled out Greater China—including mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan—as a primary growth center. AppleInsider took a trip to learn more, starting with a week exploring Taiwan.
Wednesday, March 04, 2015
Apple's litigious crusade against Samsung trundled along in U.S. appellate court on Wednesday, but judges were skeptical of an argument claiming continued patent infringement by Samsung is causing Apple irreparable harm.
A report on Wednesday claims Apple has pushed back plans to start mass production of a 12.9-inch iPad model due to poor display yields, and will move forward with a revised ramp up cycle set to start in September.
Apple is in negotiations to make the Apple TV a launch destination for HBO's standalone streaming service reportedly called "HBO Now," which could launch in time for the fifth season of Game of Thrones premiering April 12, according to a new report.
Apple, Google and other parties accused of being involved in an illegal "no-poach" employee policy may be on the verge of settling the class-action complaint, after the judge overseeing the lawsuit has given initial approval for their proposed $415 million settlement.
As is its wont, Apple will greet attendees at its first event of 2015 with a customized graphic wrapping around the Yerba Buena Center, a process which began in earnest on Wednesday.
Apple has reversed course on some recent changes at the iTunes Store in order to make the shop more palatable to independent record labels, which voiced concerns that new algorithms would promote mainstream musicians at the expense of lesser-known acts.
Screenshots that surfaced Wednesday on a Chinese web forum purport to show details of a forthcoming MacBook Air refresh that would bring Intel's latest Broadwell chips to Apple's ultraportable, though there is some question as to the shots' validity.
The latest major company to step into the crowded set-top box market, where the Apple TV competes, is Nvidia, whose upcoming Shield media player will be powered by Google's Android TV platform.
Apple's 2015 iPhone update will purportedly add some features introduced in the iPad Air 2 last year, including an upgrade to 2 gigabytes of RAM and the possibility of pre-installing the Apple SIM, giving users the ability to select a carrier on their own out of the box.
Apple has once again, after a three-year gap, taken the Overall Product Placement title in Brandchannel's Brandcameo Product Placement Awards, highlighting the companies inserted most often into Hollywood movies.
Ridesharing startup Uber has finally shown its hand in the mergers and acquisitions market, picking up small navigation and geospatial services firm deCarta in a move that some say is designed to help Uber lessen its dependence on mapping services from Apple and Google.
The Apple Watch is continuing to make the rounds of fashion magazines, this time in the form of a Sport model on the April cover of China's YOHO, which bears the slogan "Being Young is an Attitude."
Google is allegedly developing an Android Wear app for iOS, a move that would expand support for the wearables platform beyond Android handsets and enable iPhone and iPad owners to use products like the Moto 360 and the LG G Watch.
ExclusiveKiller Deal: Free LG optical drive, Free Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Pro headphones, and up to $350 off all BTO MacBook Pros with AppleCare
Tuesday, March 03, 2015
A new website has created interactive Web versions of bite-sized Apple Watch apps slated for release next month, offering prospective buyers a chance to test drive the device before it hits store shelves in April.
In a court filing on Tuesday, Apple informed a Massachusetts federal judge that it is in discussions with A123 Systems to settle out of court a lawsuit claiming Apple poached the battery maker's key engineers for a secret internal project.
Before an expected launch in April, Apple's upcoming Apple Watch was given top honors at the 2015 iF Design Awards, an annual industrial design competition dating back to 1954.
Apple continues to forge forward in expanding card support for its fledgling Apple Pay service and on Tuesday added 18 new credit unions and banks to the list of participating issuers.
AT&T has announced that its Modio case for the iPad mini, which adds LTE support to otherwise Wi-Fi-only models, will ship on March 20 and cost $50 with a two-year data plan.
A newly-discovered flaw in some implementations of cryptographic protocols SSL and TLS — including those used by Apple's Safari and Google's Android AOSP browsers — could allow an attacker to force clients to use older, weaker encryption that would make it significantly easier to intercept secure communications.
BitTorrent Sync gains new look, Mint for iOS picks up bill reminders, Sonos adds simpler Room access
A trio of important app updates were released onto the iOS App Store Wednesday, adding a new Pro service for BitTorrent's Sync file sharing, interface refinements for Sonos Controller on iOS, and bill reminders for Intuit's iOS budget tracker, Mint.
ExclusiveAerial footage shows off temporary building at site of Apple's March 9 event, likely Apple Watch demo area
Apple is building an annex to San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center, where the company is expected to further detail Apple Watch at a special event next week, fueling speculation that the construction will yield a large demonstration area for attendees.
Following months of pressure from service workers advocacy groups, Apple is set to end its reliance on external security vendors and will begin hiring security personnel as full-time employees, entitling them to many of the same benefits granted to other Apple workers.
This year's SXSW festival in Austin, Tex., will feature more than a thousand iBeacon transmitters onsite, allowing attendees to receive timely, location-specific messages and the ability to connect with others.
Koenigsegg, a Swedish supercar maker which sells some of the most expensive vehicles on Earth, has joined the list of auto manufacturers offering support for Apple's CarPlay standard via the Regera, a new car unveiled today at the Geneva Motor Show in Switzerland.
- Automakers in Geneva cautious, 'concerned' about 'disruptive interloper' Apple
- Billions in Google revenue could ride on Apple renewing iOS search deal
- Smartphone shipments topped 1.2 billion in 2014, Samsung's share plummeted in face of Apple gains
- Pebble unveils steel version of color Time watch, announces 'smartstrap' accessory support
- Apple's 'Shot on iPhone 6' campaign goes global with billboards, ad spaces
- Piper Jaffray pegs stainless steel Apple Watch price at $499, Edition at $4,999
- Apple, Google no-poach settlement reportedly on road to approval
- Upcoming Steve Jobs biography dives deep into Apple cofounder's life, features interviews with Tim Cook, Jony Ive, more
- Nissan, Daimler CEOs split on prospect of rumored Apple Car
- Google postpones iOS 8-style full-disk encryption of Android devices
- Apple Watch carried codename 'Gizmo,' former Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch spearheaded software
- CarPlay, not an Apple Car, likely catalyst of Swiss trademark filing
- Banks 'scrambling' to combat Apple Pay identity fraud - report
- Apple releases public beta of OS X 10.10.3, gives the masses a first taste of new Photos app
- Race to beat Apple Pay picks up, as PayPal buys CurrentC-linked Paydiant
- Morgan Stanley raises Apple target to $160, citing strength as a 'platform company'
- Google unveils 'Android Pay' mobile payments API to rival Apple Pay
- Google to launch own 'Nexus'-like carrier network to push innovations in wireless
- Tim Cook discusses Steve Jobs, personal privacy, and Apple's role as a social leader
- Variety of Apple Watch stylings for men spotlighted in Hong Kong fashion magazine spread
- Apple supplier NXP to merge with rival Freescale Semiconductor in $11.8B deal
- Apple's next Chinese Apple Store to open in Chongqing on March 7
- Apple Watch featured in UK's Style magazine, Space Gray Sport version quoted at $349
- Samsung responds to iPhone 6 with premium metal & glass Galaxy S6, counters Apple Pay with Samsung Pay
- Apple Watch to reportedly offer 'Power Reserve' to help extend battery life
- Apple touts iPhone 6 as world's most popular camera in showcase of extraordinary user photos
- Logitech Keys to Go Review: The ultimate portable bluetooth keyboard
- Sources: Apple's 2015 'iPhone 6s' models to gain Force Touch but no dual-camera system
Monday, March 02, 2015
Sunday, March 01, 2015
Saturday, February 28, 2015