While much of the week was dominated by nearly identical "iPhone 7" leaks, we did learn a little bit more about the "Apple Car," and Apple itself released a bevy of software updates, while bringing Apple Pay to more markets.
Saturday, July 23, 2016
An Oregon man who earlier this year pleaded guilty to hacking into Apple and Google email accounts, including a number owned by unnamed celebrities, was sentenced to six months in prison this week.
According to noted industry blogger Evan Blass, Apple is planning to announce its next-generation iPhone lineup at a special event scheduled for the week of Sept. 12, in line with its usual fall launch cycle.
Friday, July 22, 2016
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on Friday handed down an opinion vacating in part a 2015 summary judgment that found Apple not in infringement of certain cellular and voice recognition patents, claims of which originate from a string of "kitchen sink" patent lawsuits leveled by non-practicing entity Unwired Planet.
The extraordinarily popular Pokémon Go has broken the previous record for downloads in the first week after launch, as "peak Pokémon" hit one week after U.S launch.
Apple has reclaimed the top spot in the 2016 edition of the FutureBrand Index, which each year ranks the world's 100 biggest corporations according to their "perception strength," based on a survey of 3,000 consumers and professionals across 17 countries.
September-quarter guidance by Apple supplier Skyworks may back the idea of healthy "iPhone 7" production, despite some previous hints to the contrary, according to a new investor memo seen by AppleInsider.
Another comparison video apparently showing Apple's anticipated "iPhone 7" rear shell has appeared on Chinese social media, apparently comparing the rose gold casing of the new model to the finish of the iPhone 6s.
Deals: Grab the lowest prices on iMacs and MacBooks with AppleCare (up to $430 off) with exclusive coupons
AI readers can use exclusive coupons this week to score the lowest prices anywhere on 27-inch iMac 5Ks, 15-inch MacBook Pros and remaining 2015 12-inch MacBooks bundled with AppleCare. Save up to $430 instantly with free shipping and no tax in most states.
Apple on Friday revealed that it's planning to launch its first store in Taiwan, finally coming to the island where a number of its suppliers are headquartered.
FeatureAppleInsider podcast talks Apple Watch battery life, beta updates, iOS 10 liquid detection, more
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor discuss the latest updates in public betas, the reason the GPS watches seem to last longer that a day, liquid damage avoidance in iOS 10, apparent delays for the "Apple Car," and much more.
Pokémon Go has gone live in the nation that originated the monster catching craze in the nineties, with sponsored McDonald's locations in the country hosting key gameplay locations.
Thursday, July 21, 2016
Apple's limited edition Olympic Apple Watch straps feature national flag motifs, only available in Rio
Apple has created a series of woven nylon Apple Watch straps for this year's Olympics, though the limited edition bands featuring motifs representing the flags of 14 countries competing in this year's games are only available at a single store in host city Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Apple's recent iOS, OS X, tvOS and watchOS updates patch a previously unknown security flaw that allows the surreptitious gathering of sensitive data with a simple text message, an OS-level bug which bears a striking resemblance to last year's much derided Stagefright exploit on Google's Android platform.
Auction website CharityBuzz on Thursday announced the upcoming sale of an extremely rare Apple-1 computer dubbed "Celebration," so named because it is the only known unit still in existence to feature a pre-production circuit board.
Currently in development at Square Enix, makers of the "Final Fantasy" series, "Cosmos Rings" is a possible extension of the four-game iOS "Chaos Rings" adventure game franchise that will make its debut this year only on the Apple Watch.
Intel's seventh-generation Core processor was recently delivered to unspecified companies in sufficient quantities for manufacturing, however the first run of chips are not likely destined for Apple's MacBook Pro.
Despite being exiled in Russia, former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden is reportedly working with a famous hardware hacker on an iPhone case designed to eliminate the risk of snooping by outside parties.
Deals: $140-$270 off 13" MacBook Pros with AppleCare; $100 iTunes card for $85; $200 off 13" MacBook Air
With back-to-school shopping well underway, shoppers can snap up a 13-inch MacBook Pro with AppleCare at up to $270 off with free shipping and no tax in 48 states. Or opt for an Early 2015 13-inch MacBook Air (1.6GHz, 4GB, 128GB) for $799 with free Parallels. Pokémon Go fans in need of PokéCoins can also save 15% on $100 iTunes gift codes.
Ratcheting up the pressure on people grandfathered into unlimited data plans, Verizon is planning to force its greatest data consumers into picking a fixed plan or leaving entirely.
Apple's ninth New York City retail store, and its first in the borough of Brooklyn, will open next weekend in the Williamsburg neighborhood, the company has officially announced.
Blocking unnecessary Flash content loading in the Firefox browser will lead to improved battery life, faster web page loads, and greater user security, according to developer Mozilla. And the block starting in August is only the beginning.
Apple's rumored electric car won't hit the roads until 2021, owing to various obstacles encountered in "Project Titan," a report claimed on Thursday.
Skross is partnering with AppleInsider this week to give readers a chance to win one of five accessory bundles containing a Buzz 2in1 alarm cable, Reload 5 HP smartphone charging solution and a 2-pole MUV USB adapter.
About 1.6 million Apple Watches were shipped during the June quarter, according to estimates released on Thursday, but while still dominating the smartwatch market, Apple also saw its share drop amid growing competition.
An iTunes account and the associated Apple email address were keys to the investigation leading to a takedown of the head of the world's largest torrent aggregator.
An Apple patent application published early on Thursday could theoretically set the stage for iPhones and other devices with "autostereoscopic" displays, simulating 3D without the need for special glasses.
Winners of the Jamstik+ Portable SmartGuitar and Case giveaway announced [John B., Katie J. and Daniel O.]
AppleInsider would like to congratulate the winners of our latest giveaway, John B., Katie J. and Daniel O., each of whom snagged a Jamstik+ Portable SmartGuitar with a Custom Carrying Case.
Wednesday, July 20, 2016
A new feature discovered in Apple's latest iOS 10 beta warns users when liquid is detected in an iPhone's Lightning port, a handy tool for saving compatible devices from irreversible water damage.
Qualcomm reported strong quarterly earnings of $1.4 billion—an 18.6 percent increase over the year ago quarter—based on higher intellectual property licensing royalties, a jump in chip orders from China and guidance-exceeding MSM chip sales, indicating that the market for premium smartphones is continuing to grow faster than expected.
With iPhone rumor season in full swing, dummy "iPhone 7" models sourced from China are showing up in an increasing number of videos, the latest of which offers a peek at what production colors might look like when they see release this fall.
A class action suit filing in California complains that "refurbished" service stock replacements doled out by Apple in exchange for damaged devices to AppleCare+ service plan holders are not functionally the same as new.
A new version of the Corning Gorilla Glass used in iPhone screens since launch promises better impact resistance for equipped devices, with the improved glass panels surviving falls from greater heights than previous versions.
Apple has bought out "global music platform provider" Omnifone in a deal thought to be worth $10 million, a report said on Wednesday.
Effective October, Skype will require at least OS X Yosemite or iOS 8 on Apple platforms for full functionality, due to a switch to cloud-based infrastructure, Microsoft said on Wednesday.
Members of Apple's Beta Software Program can now download and try the second public beta releases of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra, which were seeded on Wednesday.
Chinese nationalists are reportedly taking to boycotts and destruction of emblematic U.S. consumer goods, like the iPhone, to protest an unfavorable UN body decision over disputed territory in the South and East China Sea.
Finally clearing out legal obstacles, the cabinet of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to approve an exemption enabling Apple's first retail stores in the country, a report said on Wednesday.
- BlackBerry CEO says Apple's security stance puts company over 'greater good'
- Survey: One in five may be poised to make jump to 'iPhone 7'
- Pokemon Go could add $3B to Apple revenues, analyst says
- Brazilian Supreme Court overturns WhatsApp ban within hours
- Apple Pay adds support for 13 new US banks and credit unions
- Despite 9% growth, Microsoft Surface sales remain stuck at around 1M units
- Apple airs two 'Shot on iPhone' videos featuring slo-mo and time lapse footage
- Apple Pay debuts in Hong Kong with American Express, Mastercard and Visa support
- Deezer opens up streaming music service to all US listeners
- Apple's iOS App Store now generating 4x revenues per app vs Android Google Play
- Apple enticing retail shoppers to sign up for Apple Pay with $5 promo
- Unexpected success of iPhone SE predicted to drop Apple's average selling price to $637
- Apple tests Google's WebP for accelerated image loads in Safari
- Recent supposed 'iPhone 7' leaks come from common, questionable origin
- Brazilian judge orders indefinite block of WhatsApp, affecting millions of users
- Apple brand power climbing, holds lead over all tech firms, survey finds
- Only two new iPhone models shipping this fall, not three, prominent leaker claims
- 'Very low' expectations for Apple earnings set up positive risk/reward, Wells Fargo says
- Kia to offer free Apple CarPlay upgrades on select models
- Groundbreaking 'atomic memory' could cram unimaginable amounts of data into your iPhone
- New Apple invention would allow for complex, multi-axis haptic feedback
- Pixelmator image editor gets powerful selection tools in iOS app update
- Rapper Travis Scott confirms Apple Music deal ahead of new album release
- Apple Pay expands to France with support for Mastercard and Visa cards
- Iran threatens iPhone ban in bid to stanch smuggled smartphone sales
- Winner of the Grovemade accessory giveaway announced [Tom C.]
- Apple squashes FaceTime bug that facilitated eavesdropping on calls
- Apple debuts pair of new 'Shot on iPhone' ads with backyard wildlife focus
- Apple issues third macOS Sierra beta to developers
- Apple releases iTunes 12.4.2 with fix for Apple Music short song playback issues
- Apple Music shifting to iTunes Match 'acoustic fingerprinting' method of song ID
- MacKeeper threatens 14-year-old YouTube video maker with harassment suit
- Apple releases finished iOS 9.3.3, OS X 10.11.6, tvOS 9.2.2 & watchOS 2.2.2 updates
- Apple Maps expands transit directions to Honolulu & Kansas City, Mo.
- Apple issues third betas of iOS 10, tvOS 10, and watchOS 3 [updated]
- New photos claim to show three different 'iPhone 7' models, including 'Pro'
- Pokemon Go hits Canada & 26 European countries, server struggles stall Japan launch
- Deals: $50-$130 off 12.9" iPad Pros; $50-$120 off 2016 MacBooks with AppleCare; $570 off 15" MacBook Pro
- US Army's Special Operations switching tactical kit from Android to iPhone - report
- Leaked video highlights alleged differences between 'iPhone 7' and iPhone 6s
- Softbank to acquire Apple chip designing partner ARM for $32 billion
- Rumor: TSMC to be exclusive manufacturer of both Apple's 'A10' & 'A11' chips
Tuesday, July 19, 2016
Monday, July 18, 2016