This week on the AppleInsider Podcast, Victor and Andrew discuss the new MacBook Pro, keyboards, and Mike joins us to talk about Siri, eGPU and the difficulties with ThunderBolt 3, USB-C, and the trouble with sorting cables that all look the same.
- MacBook Pro: conflicting reports, is the new keyboard just about noise reduction, or was it also designed for dust-ingress-prevention? We suspect it was designed for dust prevention, noise is a side benefit, but marketing can only externally discuss the noise reduction.
- MacBook Pro thermal management. The new machine gets hot, and when it does, performance is throttled back. Is this what people wanted? And yet, it's a reality of hardware design for anyone using the i9 (Dell, etc. deal with heat and throttling, too.)
- The new 13" Touch Bar Mac Book Pro has full speed ports on both sides (previously, only the left side of the machine had full-speed ports)
- Victor and Andrew talk about the oddity that is the removal of the doorbell category from HomeKit new devices listed at Apple.
- Mike talks about the BlackMagic eGPU
- Siri is now fully in the hands of John Giannandrea as Siri's last original co-founder retires from Apple. Victor thinks we're probably in good hands, but is waiting to see what comes out of Samsung's August 9th event.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Hands on with Apple's 15-inch 2018 MacBook Pro with i7 processor
- MacBook Pro keyboard silicone eases but doesn't solve dust ingress issue
- Conflicting information distributed inside Apple about reason for silicone MacBook Pro keyboard seal
- BlackMagic eGPU not just for HDMI and Thunderbolt 3 displays, but also for any USB-C monitor
- 13-inch 2018 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar has full speed on all Thunderbolt 3 ports
- From the archives: https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/08/15/psa-thunderbolt-3-cables-longer-than-05m-generally-dont-support-usb-31-speeds
- Apple purges 'Doorbell' category from HomeKit accessories page
- AI guru Tom Gruber, last of the Siri founders, retires from Apple
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].