This week on the AppleInsider Podcast, Victor and William talk about Super Micro moving manufacturing out of China, Foxconn's adventures in Wisconsin, and Victor interviews Geert Bevin of Moog about interface design.
- Super Micro is feeling the effects of the questionable-but-not-retracted Bloomberg story, and is moving manufacturing out of China to reassure customers. Words have power, and that story has real costs.
- Apple bans parental controls apps from the iOS App Store for using MDM (mobile device management). Apple's statement calls it 'risky technology' yet its own documentation contradicts that — as app makers are now pointing out.
- The people of Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin are feeling the problems that having a giant Foxconn factory gets you, but without the benefits. While Foxconn continues to delay its plans there, the county has already demolished 75 homes and bought up land.
- Netflix is upgrading their audio streams to support Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and Dolby Atmos. This is great news for AppleTV 4K and to a lesser extent Apple TV HD (the 4th gen version with Siri remote), but Victor points out, the 49 dollar Fire TV 4K stick, Fire TV cube, and 39 dollar Roku Premier device all support Atmos and should get these streams.
And then there's this.
Victor goes to Moogfest and takes over the WUNC radio studios to interview Geert Bevin of Moog about interface design and his application MidiWrist, which allows you to control audio applications like Logic and MIDI instruments from the Apple Watch screen and Digital Crown.
We like reader email — send us your comments and concerns!.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Super Micro exiting China manufacture because of spy chip allegations [u]
- Apple says it removed parental control apps because they posed privacy risk
- The facts about parental control apps
- Parental control apps clap back at Apple statement on MDM technology
- There Used to Be An App For That
- Small-town Wisconsin suffering under weight of Foxconn deal, with CEO headed to White House
- Netflix rolls out adaptive 'high-quality' audio for Apple TV owners with surround sound
- MidiWrist, by Geert Bevin
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].