Monday, March 22, 2010, 01:15 pm PT (04:15 pm ET)
Apple adds 'Gift This App' option to App StoreApple on Monday added the ability for customers to send an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad application to another person as a gift when purchasing software through iTunes.
By clicking the drop-down menu next to "Buy App" in iTunes, users now have a new option entitled "Gift This App." Selecting it accesses the "Give a Gift" page, which allows users to type in the recipient's name and e-mail address. It also gives the opportunity to add a personal message of up to 500 characters.
The gift can then be printed and physically delivered, or e-mailed to the recipient via the automated form. Gifts can only be redeemed in the store country from which the gift originated.
Users first noticed the new feature Monday when Apple updated its App Store Terms & Conditions. The update added a "Gifts" section to the App Store terms, while modifying them in the iTunes store.
The terms note that gifts cannot be used for in-app purchases, upgrades or to update the iPod touch OS.
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple initiates iPhone 5 battery replacement program
- Samsung ad challenges Apple's iPhone 5s to take 'ice bucket challenge'
- Purportedly leaked data from Foxconn again points to 'iPhone 6' with protruding camera lens
- Display production for Apple's 'iPhone 6' needs last-minute redesign, Reuters says
- Another purported 'iPhone 6' document suggests Apple may offer 128GB model