Apple adds 'Gift This App' option to App StoreApple on Monday added the ability for customers to send an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad application to another person as a gift when purchasing software through iTunes.
By clicking the drop-down menu next to "Buy App" in iTunes, users now have a new option entitled "Gift This App." Selecting it accesses the "Give a Gift" page, which allows users to type in the recipient's name and e-mail address. It also gives the opportunity to add a personal message of up to 500 characters.
The gift can then be printed and physically delivered, or e-mailed to the recipient via the automated form. Gifts can only be redeemed in the store country from which the gift originated.
Users first noticed the new feature Monday when Apple updated its App Store Terms & Conditions. The update added a "Gifts" section to the App Store terms, while modifying them in the iTunes store.
The terms note that gifts cannot be used for in-app purchases, upgrades or to update the iPod touch OS.
On Topic: iPhone
- JP Morgan predicts Apple will stick with LCD, not OLED, for 'iPhone 7'
- Samsung Galaxy S6 comes with 56 apps preinstalled, including Instagram & Microsoft OneDrive
- Amazon debuts new unlimited Cloud Drive plans, Beatport comes to iOS
- Twitter launches rebranded Periscope app for live video broadcasting
- Rumor: Apple to launch three iPhone models in 2015 including new 4" handset