Monday, March 22, 2010, 01:15 pm PT (04:15 pm ET)
Apple adds 'Gift This App' option to App StoreApple on Monday added the ability for customers to send an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad application to another person as a gift when purchasing software through iTunes.
By clicking the drop-down menu next to "Buy App" in iTunes, users now have a new option entitled "Gift This App." Selecting it accesses the "Give a Gift" page, which allows users to type in the recipient's name and e-mail address. It also gives the opportunity to add a personal message of up to 500 characters.
The gift can then be printed and physically delivered, or e-mailed to the recipient via the automated form. Gifts can only be redeemed in the store country from which the gift originated.
Users first noticed the new feature Monday when Apple updated its App Store Terms & Conditions. The update added a "Gifts" section to the App Store terms, while modifying them in the iTunes store.
The terms note that gifts cannot be used for in-app purchases, upgrades or to update the iPod touch OS.
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple launches smaller-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c in Italy, Sweden, Netherlands, Czech Republic, more
- Case purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 6' supports claims of power button on upper right side
- Samsung email targeted Steve Jobs' death as "our best opportunity to attack iPhone"
- Apple joins tech heavyweights, wireless carriers in smartphone anti-theft initiative
- Samsung braced for "iPhone 5 Tsunami," targeted an "attack" on Apple's customer base