Apple adds 'Gift This App' option to App StoreApple on Monday added the ability for customers to send an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad application to another person as a gift when purchasing software through iTunes.
By clicking the drop-down menu next to "Buy App" in iTunes, users now have a new option entitled "Gift This App." Selecting it accesses the "Give a Gift" page, which allows users to type in the recipient's name and e-mail address. It also gives the opportunity to add a personal message of up to 500 characters.
The gift can then be printed and physically delivered, or e-mailed to the recipient via the automated form. Gifts can only be redeemed in the store country from which the gift originated.
Users first noticed the new feature Monday when Apple updated its App Store Terms & Conditions. The update added a "Gifts" section to the App Store terms, while modifying them in the iTunes store.
The terms note that gifts cannot be used for in-app purchases, upgrades or to update the iPod touch OS.
On Topic: iPhone
- 'iPhone 7' might replace 3.5mm headphone jack with second speaker, analysts say
- AT&T lays plans to begin testing 5G data in 2016, brings back 2-for-1 iPhone deal
- Apple captured 21% of smartphone processors, 31% of tablet CPUs in 2015
- TestFlight gets support for iOS 9.3, watchOS 2.2 betas
- FBI complains it can't break encryption on phone used by San Bernardino terrorists