Apple issues new Mac OS X 10.6.8 build to developers with no known issuesApple on Monday released another beta of its forthcoming Mac OS X 10.6.8 update to its developer community, with the upcoming software release expected to allow users to update to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion through the Mac App Store.
People familiar with the latest build say it is dubbed "10K537." It is available for download from Apple as a 454MB delta update, or 1GB combo update.
Like previous builds of Mac OS X 10.6.8, the latest build is said to have no known issues. Developers have been asked to concentrate on the Mac App Store, as well as AirPort, Graphics Drivers, Networking, QuickTime and VPN.
The final release of Mac OS X 10.6.8 is expected to address a number of issues with Snow Leopard before the debut of Lion, including resolution of an issue that may cause Preview to unexpectedly quit, improved support for IPv6, and improved VPN reliability, according to people familiar with the software.
The software update also reportedly contains fixes for the MAC Defender malware scam,. The malicious software was first discovered by a security researcher in early May. Soon after, Apple posted a support document with instructions on how to remove the malware, promising that an upcoming update to Mac OS X would find and remove the offending software. A separate, already-released security update for Mac OS X 10.6.7 also addresses the malware.
With Snow Leopard on the way out, Apple has turned its attention to Lion. Current Snow Leopard users will be able to make the upgrade next month when Lion goes on sale solely in the Mac App Store. The operating system upgrade will cost $29.99.
On Topic: Mac OS X
- New SSL/TLS flaw leaves Safari vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attack, Apple promises fix
- Apple releases public beta of OS X 10.10.3, gives the masses a first taste of new Photos app
- Apple spotlights 'Focus' starring Will Smith, edited entirely in Final Cut Pro X
- Apple introduces new crash reporting service for developers in latest Xcode 6.3 beta
- Apple releases second beta of OS X 10.10.3 with focus on new Photos app