Apple takes 66% of smartphone profits, HomeKit, Mac Pro, Apple AR & more on the AppleInsider Podcast
This week on the AppleInsider Podcast, Victor and William talk about how Apple is making so much more money from phones than even its closest rival Samsung. Plus the rumored Apple AR glasses, Mac Pro availability, and what on earth is Apple doing making HomeKit accessory development code open source.
- Apple takes 66% of smartphone profits
- Part of the reason it makes that proportion of the industry's money is that the iPhone has never been cheap. Yet iPhone pricing overall is less than we usually think
- Two patents give more indications about the direction of the rumored Apple AR glasses
- William is looking for a Mac Pro in all the wrong places. He's been talking to Apple Stores about which will stock it.
- Apple joins Amazon, Google, and Zigbee Alliance in working on CHoIP (Connected Home over IP) open source standard
- Apple also makes the HomeKit Accessory Development Kit open source
- Dark Mode may actually be bad for your sleeping, but Victor has solutions that will help
- Usually people complain about Apple, but this time it's Apple doing the complaining. Very unusually, the firm has written a complaint to the EU about hoarding of self-driving car patents.
We like reader email — send us your comments and concerns!.
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Check out our sponsors:
- Dollar Shave Club Dollar Shave Club's Ultimate Shave Starter Set has basically everything you need for an amazing shave - the Executive razor, Shave Butter, Prep Scrub and Post Shave Dew. The best part is, you can try it for just $5. After that, the restock box ships regular-sized products at regular prices. Get your Ultimate Starter Set for just $5 at DollarShaveClub.com/appleinsider.
- MasterClass - For a limited time, when you buy one Annual MasterClass All-Access Pass for yourself, you'll get another one to gift, for FREE! Go to masterclass.com/appleinsider to get started with this limited time offer. Buy one All-Access Pass, and get one free to gift, at masterclass.com/appleinsider.
- ATTO - Content creators with High-Def, 4-K and 8-K workflows need a reliable, high-performance network solution. Stock connectivity will not do, not even on the new Mac Pro. ATTO Thunderbolt and host bus adapters are designed for low-latency collaboration - eliminating bottlenecks and supporting multiple media streams. Find out more at atto.com.
- Apple glasses could have hidden cameras and removable earphones
- Apple earned 66% of the entire smartphone market's profits in 2019
- Apple open-sources HomeKit Accessory Development Kit to spur adoption, grow new standard
- Apple part of 'Project Connected Home over IP' group to simplify home automation connectivity
- Study upends theory that 'night mode' UIs are good for sleep patterns
- Apple signs EU complaint decrying FRAND patent abuse related to autonomous cars
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].