Monday, April 08, 2013, 04:00 pm PT (07:00 pm ET)
HBO Go app update brings AirPlay multitasking, interactive features for 'Game of Thrones'With the release of HBO Go version 2.1 on Monday, subscribers of the premium cable service now have the ability to stream content to TVs over AirPlay as a background task, leaving their iPad, iPhone or iPod touch free to run other apps.
Along with the ability to background streaming, HBO Go version 2.1 also includes new interactive features for the company's massively popular series "Game of Thrones." Fans can now watch episodes of the show while accessing the special content on their iPad or iPhone in a second-screen type of experience.
From the release notes:
- Includes AirPlay multitasking capability — other apps can be used while video continues to stream via AirPlay.
- Enhancements to the interactive features experience for Game of Thrones.
- General performance enhancements.
HBO first introduced AirPlay streaming to its HBO Go app, as well as Cinemax's MAX Go title, in February, granting users access to shows, movies, comedy specials, sports, documentaries and special content.
HBO Go is available now through the iOS App Store as a free download, though a subscription to the cable service is required.
On Topic: apps
- Adobe's Photoshop Mix for iPad gets extensibility, panoramic file support, more in update
- Smash hit 'BioShock' comes to iPhone, iPad with iOS-specific controls
- Instagram's new Hyperlapse app simplifies timelapses, Square's Cash 2.0 allows transfers to all via text message
- Google bolsters iOS productivity suite with Slides, updates to Docs and Sheets
- Secret app to restrict photo uploads, block posts with real names in update