HBO Go app update brings AirPlay multitasking, interactive features for 'Game of Thrones'With the release of HBO Go version 2.1 on Monday, subscribers of the premium cable service now have the ability to stream content to TVs over AirPlay as a background task, leaving their iPad, iPhone or iPod touch free to run other apps.
Along with the ability to background streaming, HBO Go version 2.1 also includes new interactive features for the company's massively popular series "Game of Thrones." Fans can now watch episodes of the show while accessing the special content on their iPad or iPhone in a second-screen type of experience.
From the release notes:
- Includes AirPlay multitasking capability — other apps can be used while video continues to stream via AirPlay.
- Enhancements to the interactive features experience for Game of Thrones.
- General performance enhancements.
HBO first introduced AirPlay streaming to its HBO Go app, as well as Cinemax's MAX Go title, in February, granting users access to shows, movies, comedy specials, sports, documentaries and special content.
HBO Go is available now through the iOS App Store as a free download, though a subscription to the cable service is required.
On Topic: apps
- Tweetbot for iOS gets Twitter video and GIF support in latest update
- NBC for iOS gains live streaming as Kayak, Snapchat and Yelp also see Apple updates
- Marijuana dating app High There bubbles up onto the App Store
- Apple now allowing marijuana-themed App Store downloads in 23 US states where drug is legal
- ESPN for iOS becomes a universal app for iPhone & iPad with new look, iPhone 6/+ support