AppleInsider podcast talks 'iPhone 8' pricing & launch, pro Mac audio, ARKit and lasers
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk about "iPhone 8" rumors and hype, including what its anticipated advanced camera system, complete with frickin' lasers, could mean for ARKit. We also tackle on-set audio editing with a MacBook Pro on the film "Baby Driver," iPhone wireless charging rumors, facial recognition, and much more.
- How the Mac enabled editing on set for the movie "Baby Driver"
- Facial recognition and Tony Faddell's name on a 2013 patent when he left Apple in 2008. Apple's been doing facial reco for quite some time
- A wireless charging accessory for 'iPhone 7s'/'iPhone 8' may not ship until later
- Laserbeams! Apple may use laser beams for depth mapping, which leads us into talking about ARKit
- The iPhone currently ships in 6 colorways. Rumour has it, the iPhone 8 will ship in 4, including mirror finishes
- Swipe to close apps is back in iOS 11 public beta 2 / developer beta 3. Thank you, Apple!
- Bank of America predicts a 3-4 week delay on 'iPhone 8' but a strong 2018.
- Apple installs HomeKit demo stations in 46 Apple Retail stores. Victor thinks we need more of this, Neil opines about ARKit demos in store
- Siri has more users over Google Assistant, Samsung S Voice in the US
- Amazon realizes everyone uses Alexa to listen to music, is working on a music speaker. Are they afraid of HomePod?
- Vertu (stratospherically expensive phone maker) ceases operating.
- What does this mean for the $1200 iPhone rumor?
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- 'Baby Driver' cut in real time with Avid on Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro
- Apple has been working on rumored 'iPhone 8' facial recognition solution for at least 3 years
- Rumor: Apple's iPhone wireless charging accessory might not ship with 'iPhone 8,' 'iPhone 7s' this fall
- Apple's 'iPhone 8' to feature rear-facing 3D laser for AR and faster autofocus, report says
- Rumor: Apple's OLED 'iPhone 8' will come in four colors, including a new mirror-like exterior
- Apple issues second public beta of iOS 11 for iPhone, iPad
- Bank of America predicts 3-4 week 'iPhone 8' delay, but still a record breaking 2018 for Apple
- HomeKit marketing enhanced with interactive demo installation at 46 Apple retail stores
- Siri has commanding lead in users over Google Assistant, Samsung S Voice in the US
- Amazon working on new Echo with better speakers in response to Apple HomePod
- Will the 'iPhone 8' cost $1200+? Apple has already been pushing flagship prices higher for years
- As Apple prepares premium-priced 'iPhone 8,' luxury smartphone maker Vertu collapses
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].
AppleInsider has affiliate partnerships and may earn commission on products purchased through affiliate links. These partnerships do not influence our editorial content.