Mac Studio review & Studio Display thoughts on the AppleInsider Podcast
AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
On this week's AppleInsider Podcast, the Mac Studio is more popular than Apple's new Studio Display, plus Apple Wallet driver's license launches in Arizona, and Apple Podcasts offers more metrics to podcast creators.
Arizona is now the first state to offer state ID and driver's license support for Apple Wallet. Residents will only be able to use their digital ID at an unspecified number of TSA security checkpoints at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, though.
That will expand, and Apple has announced additional states that have promised to integrate Apple Wallet support with state IDs. The new states adding support are Colorado, Hawaii, Mississippi, Ohio, and the territory of Puerto Rico.
Apple also announced new features for podcast creators, including advanced metrics and a new Jump Start program that will coach companies in launching podcasts. Next month when creators log in to Podcasts Connect, they will see a unique Followers number, in addition to Listeners and Plays.
Plus Apple says that paid subscriber audio uploads now support MP3 files rather than just WAV and FLAC formats.
All the attention this week is really on the Apple's newest desktop, the Mac Studio, as Apple Silicon continues to impress in benchmarks and speed. Yet in real-world testing, there are ongoing bugs in apps like Final Cut Pro which will need to be resolved.
A recent teardown highlights the Mac Studio's repairability and uncovered two internal SSD slots. Unfortunately, these cannot be used for future SSD expansion so it's a feature for Apple repair engineers, not users.
Overall, Mac Studio has been a lot better received than Apple's Studio Display with its oddities like the non-user removable power cable. Despite many in the Apple community asking for a 27-inch iMac display panel as a standalone monitor, that is no longer enough for some users. There are pros and cons with Apple's latest monitor, and definitely a target audience.
Contact our hosts
- Submit anonymous tips on Signal: +1 863-703-0668
- @stephenrobles on Twitter
- @WGallagher on Twitter
- Kolide: Send your employees automated Slack messages with security and privacy recommendations! Get a FREE Kolide Gift Bundle after trial activation when you visit: kolide.com/appleinsider
- Trade Coffee: Get $20 off your first three bags of Trade Coffee when you visit: drinktrade.com/appleinsider
- Coda: Get started having your team all working together and on the same page for FREE! Visit coda.io/appleinsider to learn more.
- Truebill: Save $100s a year by tracking and cancelling your subscriptions with Truebill! Visit truebill.com/appleinsider to get started.
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts
Links from the show
- Apple - Support - System Status
- Arizona is first state to launch drivers' license in Apple Wallet
- Florida Smart ID - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
- Apple Card may go international as Apple buys UK credit scoring startup
- Apple providing user metrics and new guidance for Podcasts Subscriptions producers
- Apple Podcasts Charts - Top Shows - Apple Podcasts for Creators
- Apple may be developing 15-inch MacBook Air, display analyst says
- iPhone 13 Pro: The Edge of Intelligent Photography — Lux
- Apple TV app stops video rentals and purchases on Android TV, Google TV
- Apple has acquired Workflow, a powerful automation tool for iPad and iPhone - TechCrunch
- Mac Studio with M1 UItra review: A look at the future power of Apple Silicon
- Mac Studio FULL Teardown - M1 Ultra chip REVEALED! - YouTube
- Explaining the Mac Studio's removable SSDs, and why you can't simply swap them out | Ars Technica
- Mac Studio teardown demonstrates relatively easy disassembly
- Apple's Studio Display uses a unique power connection, but don't pull it out
- Studio Display includes as much storage as iPad, iPhone 11
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.
Podcast artwork from Basic Apple Guy. Download the free wallpaper pack here.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too. If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.
If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.