AppleInsider Podcast discusses Siri's rocky start, Google Assistant on iPad, and Fitibit for kids
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor talks about Siri, the spat between people responsible for it, Google Assistant on the iPad, and the problems around a Fitbit for kids.
AppleInsider editor Victor Marks discusses:
- The Information spoke to anonymous Apple sources who spoke about the litany of problems with Siri, especially in its early days at Apple
- This prompted Dag Kittlaus who co-founded Siri to respond. Pull up a chair and grab some popcorn, we never see this happen.
- It's kind of strange just how many times Siri has bounced around among managers. Forstall, Williamson, Cue, Federighi...
- Google Assistant comes to iPad. Google deserves some credit for what they've accomplished.
- France's Finance Minister is going to take Apple and Google to court over App stores. We'll be watching to see how this develops.
- Calendar 2 returns to the Mac App Store, minus its cryptocurrency miner. Why does a calendar application mine cryptocurrency? I'm glad you asked...
- United Healthcare adds Apple Watch Series 3 to their motion device program, giving insured people up to 1000 USD for accomplishing motion goals.
- Fitbit announces their second generation smartwatch, and a Fitbit for kids. There are a lot of problems around a device tracker for kids. Have they addressed them all?
- and, a tip about how to view and DVR over-the-air TV on AppleTV
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
Show note links:
- Apple's Siri history was plagued by infighting, mistakes and developer alienation, report says
- The Seven-Year Itch: How Apple's Marriage to Siri Turned Sour
- Ex-Apple executives snipe on Twitter following Siri launch account
- Apple updates leadership page with new hires, shift in Siri lead to Craig Federighi
- Google Assistant arrives on the iPad, but still isn't going to replace Siri soon
- France plans to take Apple and Google to court over 'abusive commercial practices'
- 'Calendar 2' returns to Mac App Store after Apple takedown, developer to put cryptocurrency mining proceeds toward improved features
- UnitedHealthcare adds Apple Watch Series 3 to insurance discount program
- Fitbit intros iPhone-connected Versa smartwatch & kids-oriented Ace fitness tracker
- How to get television to your Apple TV without using a streaming service
- Clearstream's wireless TV tuner
- Tablo's dual tuner wireless TV tuner that works with Apple TV
- SiliconDust's HDHomeRun TV tuners that work with Apple TV
Follow our host on Twitter: @vmarks
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].