Apple Self Repair Program, Studio Display Update, and WWDC rumors on the AppleInsider podcast
AppleInsider may earn an affiliate commission on purchases made through links on our site.
On this week's AppleInsider Podcast, Apple launches its self service repair program, a beta firmware update slightly improves the Studio Display FaceTime camera, Apple Podcasts adds new collections, and there are new iOS and watchOS WWDC rumors.
Apple's new Self Service Repair program is now live. Users can download PDF manuals to repair iPhone 12, iPhone 13, and iPhone SE models, but comparing the cost of parts to AppleCare+, self-repair may be less appealing than users think. Some repairs may require the rental of a 79-pound toolkit that users will need to send back to Apple.
Also out this week is a new firmware update that is available for Studio Display owners. The update is built-in to macOS 12.4 beta 3.
After testing the FaceTime camera update, it's true that there are noticeable improvements to skin tone reproduction and background noise in low-light conditions. However, despite these improvements, we discuss the trade-off of Apple using an ultra-wide camera in the Studio Display instead of a higher-end 12MP lens.
Looking further ahead, reports from Bloomberg journalist Mark Gurman claim that upcoming Apple Watch models may support satellite communications. We discuss the likelihood and use case for satellite connectivity on Apple Watch, plus cover new rumors for iOS 16, watchOS 9, and macOS 13.
Contact our hosts
- Send tips on Signal: +1 863-703-0668
- @stephenrobles on Twitter
- @Hillitech on Twitter
- New Relic: Get access to the whole New Relic platform and 100GB of data free, forever - no credit card required! Sign up at: newrelic.com/appleinsider
- Jamf: Unlock the power of Apple Device Management and Jamf today with a free 14-day trial. To get started, go to: jamf.it/appleinsider to learn more.
- Dio Connect: The world's most affordable, multi-room AirPlay speaker! Great discounts when you reserve yours today at: dioconnect.com/appleinsider
- Kolide: Send your employees automated Slack messages with security and privacy recommendations! Get a FREE Kolide Gift Bundle after trial activation when you visit: kolide.com/appleinsider
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts
Links from the show
- Apple's Self Repair Program vs. Genius Bar: What it costs to fix an iPhone 13
- Self Service Repair - Apple support
- Best Apple Repair Toolkits for iPhone, Apple Watch, Mac
- Right to Repair advocates aren't sold on Apple's Self Service Repair program
- Apple's iPhone repair tool kit that it rents is wheeled and weighs 79 pounds
- Testing Apple's software fix for the Studio Display camera
- Studio Display update 15.5 with webcam fix now available for beta testers
- Apple launches new Darkside, Popped, and tbh Podcasts Collections
- Now Apple Watch may get satellite communications, not just iPhone
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.
Podcast artwork from Basic Apple Guy. Download the free wallpaper pack here.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.