Trial production of Apple's thinner and lighter fifth-generation iPad is rumored to begin soon, with full-scale volume production to kick off in July, according to a new report.
Monday, May 20, 2013
Saturday, May 18, 2013
This week's Google I/O saw no announcements of any new versions of the company's mobile operating system, Android, and that may be because the team that is building the system is working to address the platform's biggest problem: fragmentation.
Given that Apple now sits on well over $144.7 billion in liquid resources, there's lots of discussion about how the company could or should be spending it. What Apple is already doing with its cash is actually more interesting.
Designed by m has managed to craft one of the most exquisite and well designed iPhone bumpers we've ever seen — in fact "bumper" seems too unrefined a descriptor — but one flaw could mar for some people what is otherwise a nearly perfect companion to Apple's smartphone.
Friday, May 17, 2013
Samsung earned industry praise for estimating that it expected to ship 10 million units of its flagship Galaxy S4 to carriers in its first month on the market, six months after the same journalists voiced disappointment that Apple had sold "only" 5 million iPhone 5's in its first 3 days.
Adding to an earlier report regarding Apple's much rumored "iRadio" streaming music service, another potential stumbling block has been detailed regarding Sony's unwillingness to agree to "skip song" terms.
Facebook-connected hookup app "Bang with Friends" was pulled from Apple's App Store on Friday, with the removal coming a little over one week following the app's debut.
The trend that's seen portable gaming shifting largely to devices like Apple's iPhone continues apace, according to a new report that pegs revenue from gaming on iOS and Android devices at three times the size of revenue on dedicated portable gaming consoles.
Game developer Gameloft is giving iOS users a treat starting this weekend, as two of its titles — Gangstar Rio and N.O.V.A 3 — are both free for a limited time.
Industry sources are saying that Google's willingness to acquiesce to music label demands and the structure of the hybrid service Apple is trying to build are the main reasons why the search giant's music service is live now while the iPhone maker's offering might miss WWDC.
With Intel's next-generation Haswell processors set to launch in a matter of weeks and WWDC to kick off soon after, availability of Apple's 13-inch MacBook Air had begun to dry up at major authorized resellers.
The U.S. Department of Defense announced on Friday that it has officially approved Apple devices running iOS 6 or later to access its secure government networks.
The purchase of 18,000 iPads for use as electronic flight bags has set the stage for the U.S. Air Force to save more than $50 million over the next 10 years.
Three key display suppliers are allegedly preparing for production of Apple's next iPad later this year, with LG Display and Sharp said to already have been selected, while AU Optronics is hoping to get into the mix.
Thursday, May 16, 2013
In a web-only exclusive, U.S. prepaid cell carrier Virgin Mobile has discounted Apple's iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S by 15 percent, bringing prices down to as low as $280.
Television network The CW on Thursday announced it has reached a deal to stream content to the Apple TV, expanding its current at home digital options beyond Microsoft's Windows and Xbox platforms.
Apple CEO Tim Cook on Thursday revealed that the first Mac to built completely in the U.S. in almost two decades will be a new model in an existing product line, shedding a bit more light on the company's "Made in USA" plans.
As Paul Otellini relinquishes the reins of chipmaker Intel, the outgoing chief executive reveals in an in-depth profile that he ultimately passed on a contract to build the silicon which powered Apple's original iPhone, a regretful decision given the handset's wild success.
Tim Cook is going to Washington to talk taxes and overseas cash holdings, and the Apple CEO is heading to the hill with a message: We pay every dollar that we owe.
- Report: Apple supplier Foxconn still exceeding work hour laws
- New Pebble developer tools allow smart watch apps to talk to iPhone apps
- Apple to distribute another $2.867 billion to shareholders via dividend
- Apple releases iTunes 11.0.3 with new MiniPlayer, improved Songs View
- Building permits detail $16M in new work at Apple's Reno iCloud data center
- Multi-colored SIM trays allegedly for 'iPhone 5S' may signal more color options
- Apple's iPhone e-wallet concept suggests payment options based on context
- Apple plans to move flagship San Francisco store to Union Square
- New mophie juice pack plus boosts iPhone 5 power by 120%
- 50 billionth iOS app was 'Say the Same Thing,' Apple awards $10K gift card to Ohio man
- IDC: Apple's iOS fell to 17% of smartphones shipped in Q1, Windows Phone passed BlackBerry
- Apple's 'social camera flash' connects multiple iPhones, iPads to light a scene
- DOJ: Email from Steve Jobs implies Apple wanted to create falsely inflated e-book pricing
- AT&T supposedly offering iPhone 5 for free with iPhone 4S trade-in, 2-year contract
- Google tells Microsoft to take down unofficial YouTube app from Windows Phone store due to lack of ads [u]
- Tim Cook to reportedly testify on offshore tax practices in Senate investigation
- Apple logs 50 billionth App Store download
- Verizon confirms $100 iPhone 5 for featurephone customers [u]
- Reworked Google Maps for iOS, Android gains better search, tablet compatibility
- Revamped, cross-platform Google Hangouts app competes with Apple's iMessages, FaceTime [u]
- Google's All Access music streaming service to take on Spotify, Pandora
- Google Play game services offers cross-platform support on iOS, Android and Web
- Google announces 900 million Android activations, 48 billion app installs
- iPhone's popularity among Facebook staff may have aided in Home's lackluster launch
- EA reveals 'Frostbite Go' game engine for Apple's iOS, Google Android
- Apple iPhone suspected of interfering with airline equipment in 2011 incident
- DOJ says Apple responsible for setting up, executing e-book price fixing
Wednesday, May 15, 2013