Apple's App Store app has been updated, with the primary addition being the ability to allow users to make purchases from the Apple Watch.
Friday, December 02, 2016
An executive hired to lead teams responsible for HealthKit, CareKit, and ResearchKit — as well as related machine learning algorithms — has left Apple after just a few months on the job, a report said on Friday.
VideoWatch: Apple's 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar vs. 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro in performance shootout
Apple recently released the first MacBook Pro redesign since 2012, and in typical Apple fashion, there's been some controversy over the new machines. People are talking about are the lack of legacy ports, and the need for adapters to use current devices and accessories. With so many Macbook Pro users waiting for this redesign, AppleInsider takes a closer look and compares the new 15-inch model to the old to see if you should upgrade to the 2016 model, or stick with 2015's version.
In nine markets, Apple will soon move to using local currencies on the App Store, according to an official notice to developers.
Apple on Friday released a fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers and public beta participants, its second update of the test software in just four days.
Elaborating on an unfolding issue with iPhone 6s shutdowns, Apple on Friday linked the problem to gaffes during the manufacturing process.
Oppenheimer analysts have issued an unusually scathing Apple investor memo, charging that the company is headed in the wrong direction and poised for a "decade-long malaise" as a result.
FeatureLeftovers: Here are the best Apple deals still going strong following Black Friday & Cyber Monday
Cyber Monday has come and gone, and with it, some great flash deals and many stock-outs. But dozens of killer offers still remain, such as exclusive savings on 2016 MacBook Pros, 12" MacBooks, and iMac 5Ks.
A commissioned report of 400 fake Apple chargers bought from all over the world found that 99 percent of them were unsafe, and didn't have sufficient safeguards to protect users and plugged-in devices.
An ex-senior manager with Foxconn, Apple's main assembly partner, was reportedly indicted in Taiwan on Friday for stealing and selling some 5,700 iPhones in China.
FeatureAppleInsider podcast talks scaling back production of iPhone 7, external GPUs, and Nokia back from the dead
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Mikey discuss the the iPhone 7 production rumors, the surprise acquisition of Pebble by Fitbit, and Nokia's brand revival from the dead.
Several major Chinese smartphone vendors are forming a consortium with a supplier to invest in AMOLED production in 2017, mainly out of worries that Apple will end up monopolizing panel supplies with upcoming iPhones, according to reports.
According to a report published Friday, Apple is looking to consolidate its logistics operations in India, and thus gain more control over regional sales channels, by establishing a centralized distribution center in the country.
Researchers in a pair of reports that surfaced this week claim to have successfully bypassed Apple's Activation Lock security feature using a heretofore unknown bug, potentially leaving iPad and iPhone devices open to attack.
Thursday, December 01, 2016
For one day only, shoppers can snap up Apple's brand-new Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro (2.0GHz, 8GB, 256GB) in Space Gray bundled with AppleCare for just $1,499.99 ($248 off). On top of the instant cash savings, Adorama will not collect sales tax on orders shipped outside NY and NJ — and shipping is free. This is the lowest price we've seen to date on this model.
Apple on Thursday tinted red the iconic backlit logos installed outside brick-and-mortar stores around the world, continuing a long-standing tradition in support of World AIDS Day, which falls on Dec. 1.
In Stock Alert: Apple's high-end 15" MacBook Pro (2.7GHz 16GB 512GB Radeon 455) in Space Gray & Silver
Looking to purchase one of Apple's high-end 15-inch MacBook Pros with Touch Bar but seeking instant gratification? You could be in luck: Apple authorized reseller B&H Photo has just taken receipt of several new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models — including the (2.7GHz 16GB 512GB Radeon 455) configuration — which are ready to ship out tomorrow with free expedited shipping and no sales tax in 49 states.
CBS on Thursday announced a significant coup for its All Access video service, revealing that as of Dec. 4 subscribers will be able to stream the network's NFL games — though smartphone owners will have to turn elsewhere.
Adding more competition to an already tough marketplace, iHeartRadio on Thursday released iOS and Android app updates allowing listeners to stream music on-demand with a paid subscription, thanks to a partnership with Napster.
People worried about whether their iPhone 6s qualifies for Apple's free battery replacement program can now check directly via the company's website.
After Microsoft's throwing away the Nokia brand name, a company has licensed the brand and is planning on tackling Samsung and Apple's on the smartphone field of battle after an initial wave of feature phones.
Spotify, the world's biggest on-demand music service, could finally turn a profit in 2017, one of its board members said on Thursday.
Our exclusive Cyber Week deals keep rolling in: This week, save $169 to $369 on current-generation 27-inch iMac 5Ks (Late 2015) paired with AppleCare extended protection plans, or take $169 to $219 off 21.5-inch iMac 4Ks paired with AppleCare. Alteratively, pick up an iMac 5K by itself for $1,624 or an iMac 4K for $1,460 — all with free shipping and no sales tax outside NY and NJ.
A highly-regarded media browser and playback tool, Plex Media Player, has exited subscriber-only status, and is now free for Mac users.
Apple is cutting down on iPhone 7 orders from suppliers as the initial wave of consumer demand subsides, a report claimed on Thursday.
Adding to a day of expansion, HSBC has announced that cardholders in Singapore can begin using the Apple Pay mobile payment service effective Thursday.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $140 to $275 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this Cyber Week to instantly save between $140 and $275 on pre-orders for every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
One of the most frequent complaints about the new MacBook Pro is the relatively weak GPU as compared to some found on the Windows side. Some progress has been made very recently by independent developers, allowing the adventurous who aren't afraid to spend a few dollars to build and connect an external GPU to a Thunderbolt 3 Mac.
Apple is preparing to use drones, indoor mapping, and better car navigation to improve its Maps apps for iOS and macOS, a report said on Thursday.
Wednesday saw the launch of AT&T's DirecTV Now internet TV service, but the first day of operation was allegedly anything but smooth.
Apple published a patent application on Thursday covering an embedded environmental sensor capable of sampling both gas and liquids, a component that could one day inform iPhone and Apple Watch owners of potential unseen dangers in their surrounding environment.
As rumored, Apple on Thursday debuted Apple Pay in Spain with support for Mastercard and American Express credit cards issued through Santander bank, Carrefour Pass and Ticket Restaurant.
A pair of Apple patent filings published Thursday reveal ongoing research into circular displays suitable for wearable devices, suggesting the company was at least mulling the creation of a round-faced Apple Watch.
Wednesday, November 30, 2016
Wearable fitness device giant Fitbit is reportedly on the verge of buying out, and subsequently shutting down, smartwatch upstart Pebble for what sources describe as a "small amount."
A new strain of Android malware dubbed "Gooligan," thought to be "the largest Google account breach to date," is already in active circulation and three-fourths of the Android installed base is vulnerable. Once infected, devices give hackers access to the users' Gmail, Google Photos, Docs, Drive and other Google services accounts.
Apple on Wednesday released a statement regarding a recent spate of spam iCloud Calendar invitations, saying it is working to address the issue by identifying and blocking suspicious invite senders.
ExclusiveExclusive Cyber Week Deals: Save up to $140 on 2016 12" MacBooks + free Magic Mouse 2 offer
Cyber Week deals are still going strong and Apple authorized reseller Adorama is kicking the holiday shopping season into high gear with exclusive savings of $45-$140 off 2016 12" MacBooks. Or grab a free Magic Mouse 2 with select configs. On top of the instant discounts, shipping is free and there's no tax outside NY and NJ.
Previously available for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch, Readdle's hit email client Spark launched on macOS on Wednesday, and is now available as a free download from the Mac App Store.
Responding to a customer's email, Apple CEO Tim Cook noted that the long-awaited AirPods are "finalizing" and expected to ship in the "next few weeks," in time for the holiday season.
- Apple TV gains fourth beta of tvOS 10.1 with support for new 'TV' app
- Cook talks Apple's social activism in interview promoting World AIDS Day plans
- Apple updates Boot Camp audio driver that was causing blown MacBook Pro speakers
- Apple AirPort Extreme claims top marks in consumer-grade wireless router survey
- Apple Pay to launch in Spain on Thursday with just one bank - report
- Netflix enables downloads of select content for offline viewing on iOS, Android
- Apple offers new Beats & iPhone accessories, special iTunes & App Store content for World AIDS Day
- Kaby Lake suitable for MacBook Pro said to debut at January's Consumer Electronics Show
- Apple Music marketing exec Bozoma Saint John talks diversity in new interview
- Yahoo Answers gets its own standalone iOS app
- Apple Music student memberships now available in more than 30 regions
- British MP urges schools to confiscate iPads, says children use tablet to bully
- Apple updates Final Cut Pro X with minor bug fixes
- Philips Hue app adds iPad support, 3D Touch widgets for iPhone
- Apple hires Wired magazine creative director to design team
- Facebook launches Instant Games on Messenger for iOS, Android & Web
- Apple to refund iMac hinge repairs as Belgium & Norway get carrier billing for iTunes
- Supply chain data suggests Apple slightly cutting iPhone 7 orders, endangering growth forecasts
- Jumpstart your automated home with these discounted Apple HomeKit and Nest products
- Apple announces winter iTunes Connect downtime slated for Dec. 23-27
- Kwikset debuts Kevo Convert smartlock, Canary brings security cam footage to iPad & Apple TV
- Amazon working on touchscreen Echo speaker with higher-quality audio - report
- Second Samsung appeal bid on $119.6 million iPhone slide-to-unlock patent verdict denied
- As Apple shows interest in AR/VR, PlayStation VR's strong start suggests price beats performance
- Recent Apple emails with FDA reveal interest with cardiac monitoring hardware, Parkinson's support
- Israel's Cellcom brings internet TV service to Apple TV
- All-new OLED 'iPhone 8,' glass-backed 4.7" model expected to drive Apple sales to 'unprecedented' highs
- ACCC draft determination denies Australian banks' bid to bargain or boycott Apple Pay
- AT&T launches DirecTV Now streaming service with free Apple TV offer
- LG UltraFine 5K Display now for sale through Apple, first orders ship in January [u]
- Apple to add some 2009 & 2011 Macs to vintage and obsolete list on Dec. 31
- Apple killing it in India: grabs first place with 66% of premium phone sales
- Amazon plans major crackdown on counterfeit sellers for 2017
- First wave of Apple holiday email advertising hits, featuring musicians and music lovers
- Apple issues fourth developer betas of iOS 10.2, macOS Sierra 10.12.2, watchOS 3.1.1
- Sling TV to start beta-testing cloud DVR functions in December
- 3-Hour Deal: Apple's 9.7-inch iPad Pro (128GB, Wi-Fi + 4G LTE, Rose Gold) for $629 ($200 off) with no tax outside NY
- Latest Apple headquarters drone video depicts carbon fiber auditorium roof, solar installations
- Workflow 1.6 for iOS adds features and redesign to win over casual users
- Apple Cyber Monday Roundup: Find the best deals & lowest prices on iPhone, MacBook, iPad, iMac and Apple Watch
- CNN buys Casey Neistat's Beme video-sharing app, plans major new business
- New bezel-less 10.9-inch iPad said to be same thickness as iPad Air, iPad Pro to grow 0.3mm
- Apple asks OLED suppliers to increase output in anticipation of curved 'iPhone 8' in 2017
- Indonesian minister details potential Jakarta Apple research and development center
- Flash Deals: Apple's 12.9" iPad Pro 256GB Wi-Fi for $650 ($349 off); 13" MacBook Air for $787 ($212 off); 27-inch iMac 5K for $1,499 ($300 off)
- How to reopen tabs in Safari for iOS 10 and macOS Sierra
- In Stock: Save $50 on Apple's 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar plus no tax in 49 states
- Review: Master & Dynamic MW60 Wireless Over-Ear Headphones
Tuesday, November 29, 2016
Monday, November 28, 2016
Sunday, November 27, 2016