Dropbox has confirmed reports claiming a data breach in 2012 disclosed the credentials of more than 68 million accounts, but notes an internal investigation uncovered no indication of improper account access.
Wednesday, August 31, 2016
One week after receiving a windfall of restricted stock units — and cashing in a chunk for a $35.8 million payday — Apple CEO Tim Cook on Monday sold another batch of his sizable stock cache worth nearly $29 million.
Laying years of rumors to rest, veteran technology journalist Walt Mossberg this week confirmed knowledge of Apple's work on a full-fledged television set, saying Steve Jobs phoned him to discuss the project shortly before his death in 2011.
On Wednesday, Samsung updated its Tizen-based smartwatch offerings with the LTE-connected Gear S3 Frontier and wi-fi Gear S3 Classic, promisimg iOS compatibility for both at some point.
CBS on Wednesday announced a new tier for its All Access streaming service, allowing people to watch TV shows without commercial interruptions — in most cases.
With just a week to go before Apple's Sept. 7 event, yet another packaging insert claimed to be for the "iPhone 7" reveals a return to the 32-gigabyte capacity, and also reaffirms that a Lightning to Headphone Jack Adapter will be included in the box.
After multiple reports of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 battery exploding during charging, the company has delayed rollout of the new "phablet" in undisclosed markets for additional quality control testing.
In anticipation of Apple's iPhone 7 announcement on Sept. 7, BuyBackWorld this week is offering an extended price lock and the industry's most aggressive cash payouts on iPad (up to $594) and iPhone trade-ins (up to $379) when you use an exclusive 10% bonus coupon. [Updated pricing 8/30/16]
A long appeal process over Apple's Ireland tax bill might have unintended consequences, with a governmental official who has opposed the ruling making claims that the tally will be closer to 19 billion euro ($21.2 billion) when the process concludes.
Not long after confirming its takeover of artificial intelligence and machine learning firm Turi, Apple is already beginning to make related hirings, referring to the company as its "new machine learning division" in official listings.
People able to afford a BMW can now get Apple CarPlay on virtually any new model as a $300 upgrade option, according to the automaker's website.
In anticipation of Apple's iPhone 7 launch on Sept. 7th, Gazelle this week is offering up to $360 in cash for used iPhone trade-ins with an extended 45-day price lock that lets you hang on to those devices until Oct. 14th.
DxO on Wednesday announced new remote control and "Mobile Smart Lighting" features for its iPhone-connected DxO One camera, along with several accessories, such as a waterproof shell and a lens adapter.
Rather than waiting until 2018, Apple could introduce eye-scanning technology to securely identify users next year, if a new supply chain rumor is to be believed.
Deals: Grab the lowest prices on iMacs and MacBooks with AppleCare (up to $430 off) with exclusive coupons
AI readers can use exclusive coupons this week to score the lowest prices anywhere on 27-inch iMac 5Ks, 15-inch MacBook Pros and remaining 2015 12-inch MacBooks bundled with AppleCare. Save up to $430 instantly with free shipping and no tax in most states.
Wednesday, August 31, 2016
While a prominent Irish businessman is decrying the $14.5 billion tax edict applied by the European Commission with strong language, members from Ireland's government have started the appeal discussion — but the process may take more time than expected to garner sufficient support from a wide body of lawmakers.
Taiwanese firm Mirle Automation has developed forming machinery for curved glass chassis that should put it in the supply chain for Apple's 2017 iPhones, a report said on Wednesday.
An insert claimed to be for Apple's anticipated "iPhone 7 Plus" would — if legitimate — not only confirm the product's name, but also reveal that it will come with a Lightning to Headphone Jack Adapter in the box.
Tuesday, August 30, 2016
A California superior court judge on Monday threw out key claims in a lawsuit alleging Beats cofounders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre swindled audio company Monster out of its investment in the Beats by Dre headphone brand just prior to Apple's acquisition in 2014.
Ahead of an expected iOS 10 launch in September, The Wall Street Journal was able to test out Siri's ability to integrate with third-party apps, finding the feature a useful and perhaps necessary next step in the virtual assistant's evolution.
A research study presented Tuesday claims that iPads are just as effective as medicinal sedatives for reducing pre-surgical anxiety from nervousness about the procedure compounded by parental separation on children between ages 4 and 10.
Dropbox recently notified users of a potential forced password reset after its security team discovered a batch of account credentials believed to have been obtained from a known 2012 data breach. While the initial announcement failed to specify the exact number of impacted users, a report on Tuesday puts the number at well over 68 million.
Deals: $150-$290 off 15" MacBook Pros; 12" MacBook for $964; 13" MacBook Pro (2.7GHz, 8GB, 256GB) for $1,200
Shoppers this week can snap up a 15" MacBook Pro at up to $290 off or take advantage of $335 off a 2015 12" MacBook in Space Gray with exclusive coupon savings. Apple's current 13" MacBook Pro with 256GB of storage space is also $300 off on eBay while supplies last.
Glass maker Corning on Tuesday announced commercial availability of Gorilla Glass SR+, a composite cover material designed specifically to take on the stresses endured by wearable devices like Apple Watch.
Answering the call of power users — and avid iPhone photographers — Apple on Tuesday expanded its iCloud storage options to include a 2-terabyte tier priced at $19.99 per month.
Google is reportedly taking its first real steps into ridesharing via its Waze navigation app, entering into competition with Uber and Lyft, and potentially setting up a tougher market if and when Apple launches its self-driving car.
Once again, BitTorrent client Transmission has distributed malware to some users through an altered installer, with downloaders of the software on Aug. 28 and 29 probably infected by the "Keydnap" package.
Accessory maker Mophie on Tuesday revealed several Powerstation battery packs compatible with iOS devices, including models supporting wireless and USB-C charging.
Actress Jessica Alba has joined the developer advisory team for the Apple-funded "Planet of the Apps" reality show, chronicling several teams of developers working on apps for iOS.
On Tuesday the Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey extended an open invitation for Apple to move its international operations to that country, in the wake of a E.U. ruling ordering Ireland to collect $14.5 billion in back taxes from the company.
Intel has shed some specific details for the first time about the new seventh generation Kaby Lake processors suitable for the MacBook and MacBook Air, but as expected, processors suitable for the MacBook Pro have yet to materialize.
An Apple patent published on Tuesday could potentially be applied to building touch-sensing surfaces, including screens, using material concepts first developed by Liquidmetal Technology.
Griffin has added to its stable of wireless adapters and is catering to the needs of potential "iPhone 7" users with a 3.5mm headphone jack to Bluetooth adapter, dubbed the iTrip Clip.
While a $14.5 billion payment of back taxes could bankrupt many major corporations, it's pocket change for a company as cash flush as Apple. As a result, analysts surveyed by AppleInsider on Tuesday said they aren't concerned about the European Commission's decision, regardless of how an appeal ultimately plays out.
Apple has posted a series of answers to questions about the European Commission's tax ruling, and appears to be unconcerned about any potential financial fallout.
A sticker claimed to be from a returned "iPhone 7" prototype at Foxconn may reinforce rumors that Apple is raising base storage on the device to 32 gigabytes.
A reference to a "Dynamic Function Row" has been spotted in Apple's latest release of the Pages word processing app, potentially confirming a rumored name for the OLED touch bar on the new MacBook Pro.
With just over a week until Apple is expected to take the wraps off of its next-generation iPhone, a new report claims that the device will actually come in two shades of black — a traditional matte, as well as a glossy option resembling the late 2013 Mac Pro desktop.
After being hit with a $14.5 billion tab for alleged unpaid back taxes, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook published an open letter to the "Apple Community" on Tuesday, saying he is "confident" that the decision from the European Commission will be reversed.
- EU tax investigation concludes, Apple hammered with $14.5 billion bill
- Apple linked to 'AirPods,' unannounced iPhone & Apple Watch models in Eurasian regulatory filing
- Apple calls Australian banks' request to bargain over Apple Pay a detriment to consumers, mobile wallet adoption
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board as firms prep driverless cars
- Appeals court dismisses FTC lawsuit over AT&T throttling 'unlimited' data
- Apple to debut standalone 5K monitor, MacBook Air refresh, 'pro' iPad software features, report says
- Apple issues eighth macOS 10.12 Sierra beta to developers, seventh to public testers
- Apple briefly allows, pulls jailbreak app on iOS App Store
- Sept. 7 Apple event to be live streamed, Siri updated with relevant jokes
- New lawsuit accuses Apple of turning blind eye to 'touch disease' on iPhone 6 & 6 Plus
- 'iPhone 7' sales pitch seen as key for 275M iPhone owners running devices more than 2 years old
- Apple event invite inspires wild speculation about 'iPhone 7' iris scanning, bokeh, more
- EU will order Ireland to collect over $1B in back taxes from Apple - report
- T-Mobile tweaks unlimited One plan in response to complaints, adds One Plus tier
- Apple sends invitations for 'iPhone 7' event on Sept. 7: 'See you on the 7th'
- Fitbit reveals new Charge 2 and Flex 2 fitness trackers, plus updated app
- Philips adds Motion Sensor, upgraded smartbulbs to HomeKit-enabled Hue line
- Apple-1 'Celebration' buyer considers $815K purchase akin to fine art
- Microsoft's new Surface Pro 4 ad targets feature gaps in Apple's MacBook Air
- Alleged 'iPhone 7' series specs could detail Apple's next-gen cameras
- Photo hints at bigger, 334mAh battery in second-gen Apple Watch
- How virtual and augmented reality could play a role in Apple's future
- Inside Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro: Graphics processing unit choices
- This week on AI: Three iPhones in 2017, Apple takes on Snapchat, surprise iOS 9.3.5 update & more
- Britney Spears' album 'Glory' debuts, but not as Apple Music exclusive
- Apple CEO Tim Cook sells $36M in Apple stock after receiving 5-year RSU bonus
- Deals: $100-$350 off 13" MacBook Airs; $100 off 2016 12" MacBooks; 30% off plus free shipping at Zagg; 2012 13" MacBook Pro for $795
- Spotify allegedly retaliating against Apple Music exclusives by 'burying' artist content [u]
- Sources: iPhone 6 series 'touch disease' now accounting for about 11% of Apple Store repairs
- Giveaway: Win a Stanley Stand and iPhone Wally Wallet Case from Distil Union
- Apple issues 8th developer beta of iOS 10, 7th public release
- UMG moratorium on exclusives may have killed Lady Gaga deal with Apple Music
- 'iPhone 7' production affected by low yields on waterproof speaker, dual camera - report
- Intel plots attack on Apple's partnership with TSMC, looks to build A-series chips by 2018
- Fox Sports Go app for Apple TV lets viewers watch four games simultaneously
- UK carrier EE, Germany's Deutsche Telekom expected to offer six months of free Apple Music
- AppleInsider podcast talks Apple Health, machine learning, 'iPhone 7' rumors
Monday, August 29, 2016
Sunday, August 28, 2016
Saturday, August 27, 2016
Friday, August 26, 2016