The trial between Epic Games and Apple offered more revelations about the companies and the App Store in court, while the rest of the week centered around a controversial hiring, iPhone 13' rumors, and the Detroit Apple Developer Academy.
Keep up with all of the Apple news
Every week, AppleInsider posts a large number of articles about Apple, including stories and rumors about its products, and connected third-parties. In our video series, "This Week in Apple," we condense the last seven days of stores into a single video.
The episodes include a curated summary of the week's events, along with insight and analysis into what happened for each topic. Source links for stores mentioned are provided further down the page, as well as within the YouTube video notes, if you want to explore the subject more closely.
Epic vs Apple continues and a problematic hiring
Entering another week, the continuing trial of the Epic Games and Apple lawsuit over the App Store trotted out more arguments and claims about the two companies in court. While the week ended, the trial did not, with it continuing into next week.
Of this week's revelations, it was discovered Apple declined to allow Microsoft to bypass the 30% App Store commission for Office on iPad. Meanwhile, Apple intended for the expert witness testimony from Microsoft to be struck over claims Xbox sales weren't really that profitable to Microsoft at all.
Another big story that erupted was the hiring of Facebook ads manager Antonio Garcia Martinez by Apple, a role that was briefly held as he was fired by Apple after other employees demanded an investigation into the "misogynistic" author. Martinez has since responded to the firing, confirming Apple let him go and claiming it was "well aware" of his works.
Elsewhere in the world of Apple, there's a rumor of "AirPods 3" arriving alongside the hi-fidelity "Apple Music HiFi" on May 18, some "iPhone 13" rumors, the FDA comments on the iPhone 12 MagSafe feature, and there's a new Tim Cook scholarship in Alabama.
Apple vs Epic
- Apple said no to Microsoft bypassing 30% commission for Office
- Apple files to strike Microsoft testimony over console profit claims
- Epic Games witnesses criticise App Store anti-steering provisions
- Apple, Epic Games experts debate whether iOS gamers switch to other platforms
- Epic Games expert says iOS could be like macOS without security drawbacks
- UK class action over App Store commission could cost Apple $2B
- Roblox rebrands as "experience" creation platform amid Epic Games v. Apple trial
Hired and Fired
- Matter launched as a new Apple-backed smart home communications standard
- Rumor: 'AirPods 3' to launch alongside 'Apple Music HiFi' on May 18
- Apple's 5G modem could land in 2023 iPhone, Kuo says
- Apple to reduce Face ID scanner sensor size by 50% for 'iPhone 13'
- FDA says iPhone 12 MagSafe risk to pacemakers is low
- Spotify, Tile, Tinder App Store complaints are solely business grievances, Apple says
- Applications now open for Detroit Apple Developer Academy
- New Tim Cook Scholarship awards students in Alabama
Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.