Holding out for Apple Silicon Macs, Apple News+ audio stories, and more on the AppleInsider podcast
Twitter experiences a massive security breach, Apple releases iOS 13.6 and iPadOS 13.6, Apple News+ adds audio and local news in the US, "Apple Glass" could use AR to enhance screen privacy, and whether your upgrade should wait on Apple Silicon Macs.
On Wednesday, Twitter employees allegedly gave hackers access to high-profile accounts such as Apple, Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, and others in a Bitcoin scam campaign. Verified Twitter accounts were then locked down for most of the day as the company tried to shut down the hack, but ultimately over $110,000 was transferred as a result of the scam.
Also this week, Apple released software updates to many of its platforms including iOS and iPadOS 13.6. In addition to CarKey support now being available, the update brought audio for all US users, and local news sections for selected major cities, to the Apple News app.
Next, a recent patent filing points to the possibility of utilizing AR and the rumored "Apple Glass" device to hide screen contents from onlookers. This "Privacy Screen" would allow users to interact with their devices like normal but others would only observe a blank screen on the iPhone or iPad device.
Considering the inevitable launch of Apple Silicon-based Macs by the end of the year, should you consider upgrading to any current Intel-based Macs at all? We discuss the pros and cons, and speculate about what new Intel or Apple Silicon devices are coming first.
We'd love to hear your feedback! If you have questions you'd like answered on the show or comment, tweet at Stephen Robles and William Gallagher, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts here.
Mint Mobile - Bring your iPhone and get a new wireless plan for just 15 bucks a month!
Links from the show
- Apple Twitter account hacked in Bitcoin scam campaign
- Hackers Convinced Twitter Employee to Help Them Hijack Accounts
- Apple releases iOS 13.6, iPadOS 13.6, macOS 10.15.6, tvOS 13.4.8, watchOS 6.2.8
- Apple expands Apple News & Apple News+ with audio, local news
- 'Apple Glass' could overlay future iPhone with AR display to enhance privacy
- Rumor: New Apple app for Windows launching soon
- Should you wait for Apple Silicon to upgrade to a new Mac?
- Apple urges retail staff to work remote, says return to offices unlikely in 2020
- How to add your symptoms to the Health app in iOS 13.6
- Greyhound on Apple TV+
- Little Voice on Apple TV+
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]