We review AirTag performance and its missing features, Epic Games takes on Apple in court, and a possible mockup model of the "iPhone 13" has been leaked.
YouTube channel Unbox Therapy received an "iPhone 13 Pro Max" mockup model from China claiming it is "the closest, best-look yet at the next generation of iPhone." The model sports a smaller notch that other leakers have supported and a redesigned camera lens system on the back.
We discuss the pre-order process for the M1 iPad Pro, new Apple TV 4K and 24-inch iMac. Unlike other pre-orders, the Apple Store app and website stayed active through the 5:00 a.m. PT deadline. Although users then attempting to order the new devices had difficulty adding items to cart and purchasing via Apple Pay.
AirTag is now available in-store and our hosts share their personal experience with accessories and Precision Tracking features. While they can be useful in some scenarios, AirTag is arguably missing key features such as Family Sharing that hopefully come in future iOS updates.
Speaking of updates, Apple Podcasts has been plagued with bugs since the release of iOS 14.5 and it is causing listeners of our podcast and other shows to miss episode releases. While the major problem of fetching new shows does now seem to be fixed, other issues such as non-clickable links in episode notes remain.
Next, a brilliant ad campaign by the cross-platform messaging app Signal reveals the ad tracking data used by Facebook. Shortly after the campaign launched Facebook banned their account, but the ads can still be seen on their blog.
Lastly, we review highlights from the Epic Games v. Apple court case, including internal communications between Apple execs regarding App Store commission rates. Closing out the show we answer some listener questions and comments.
If you have questions or comments on the show, tweet at @stephenrobles and @Hillitech, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts.
Do you host a podcast discussing technology or Apple devices and would like an AppleInsider staffer to appear as a guest? Let us know by sending a message to: [email protected] and we'll be in touch!
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
- Zocdoc: Go to zocdoc.com/appleinsider and download the app to sign-up for FREE. Find doctors and specialists that take your insurance and even book appointments online! .
- Upstart: Find out how Upstart can lower your monthly payments today! Take a short online quiz and get approved online when you go to upstart.com/appleinsider.
- ExpressVPN: AppleInsider listeners can get three extra months when you sign up for a year of service! Get the most secure and fastest VPN service today by visiting: expressvpn.com/appleinsider
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Links from the show
- How iOS 14.5 broke Apple's Podcasts app
- Model 'iPhone 13 Pro Max' again shows off smaller notch
- iPhone 13 Pro Max Early Look - YouTube
- 2021 iPad Pro — Why I'm Upgrading - YouTube
- AirTag internal components tightly-packed, demonstrates x-ray scan [u]
- Apple's Find My has a hidden AirTag debug mode
- The Instagram ads Facebook won't show you
- Facebook details impact of App Tracking Transparency to advertisers
- Developers claim that Apple's privacy-first features are 'atomic bomb' for revenue
- Tweet thread on Microsoft Xbox in Epic Games v. Apple trial
- Epic Games argues Apple has app monopoly, should make iOS more like macOS
- Apple says Epic Games demands threaten iOS app security, privacy, quality
- Phil Schiller suggested reduced App Store fees in 2011
- Apple's & Facebook tensions span a decade, reveals Epic 'Fortnite' trial emails
- Apple has third of gaming market's transactions in total, 7% of 'Fortnite' revenue
- Epic's Tim Sweeney said he would have taken special deal with Apple
- Epic v. Apple trial testimony turns to 'cross-wallet' gaming
- Epic Games admits its own developer agreements ban rule-breakers
- Apple scrambled to convince Netflix to keep in-app subscriptions
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.