Tuesday, August 29, 2006, 08:00 am PT (11:00 am ET)
First builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8 released to developersApple Computer on Monday released to developers the first pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8, a maintenance and bug fix update for its Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system that is currently under development.
In addition to improving the stability and performance of Tiger, sources say Apple will target specific enhancements towards AFP, DVD Player, iCal, iPhoto, Mail and Safari.
The Cupertino, Calif.-based company also appears to be working on improvements to the operating system's underlying components, including fonts, graphics, modem usage, networking, the Rosetta emulation environment and printing.
Builds of Mac OS X 10.4.8 Update were released for Macs with both Intel (build 8L2108) and PowerPC (build 8L108) processors, sources said.
Mac OS X 10.4.8 is expected to be amongst the final batch of updates to Tiger, as Apple has stated that it will release Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to consumers during the first half of 2007.
On Topic: General
- Apple chose to handle iOS 8 rollout with own content delivery network
- Apple invents bone conducting EarPods for better iPhone noise cancellation
- Tim Cook touts new Apple privacy policies in open letter to customers
- Tim Cook explains consolidation at Apple in new interview
- Apple 'never' planned to use sapphire covers for iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus - report