Universal Control, Apple's record Q1 earnings, and more on the AppleInsider podcast
On this week's episode of the AppleInsider podcast, Apple sets new holiday quarter records, software updates address multiple bugs across Apple's lineup, and iPhone could one day process credit card payments.
During their Q1 earnings call, Apple exceeded Wall Street expectations with a record $123.9 billion in revenue. CEO Tim Cook also revealed that there are 1.8 billion Apple devices in active use around the world, service revenue is up, and half of iPad purchasers are new to the product.
Apple has now released iPadOS 15.4 and macOS Monterey 12.3 beta which includes Face ID unlock without Apple Watch, and the long-awaited Universal Control feature.
Earlier this week Apple issued software updates across its devices including iOS 15.3, iPadOS 15.3, macOS Monterey 12.2, watchOS 8.4, and tvOS 15.3. These updates were largely bug fixes with under-the-hood improvements to Apple Music on macOS, making the app faster and more responsive. HomeKit camera owners will also see thumbnails fixed to display recent images in the Home app.
Separately, in celebration of Black History Month, Apple released the new Unity Lights Apple Watch face, featuring the colors inspired by Afrofuturism. The new Black Unity Braided Solo Loop is also available for purchase and arrives in early February.
Next, a Bloomberg report claims that Apple is working on technology that will allow iPhones to directly process credit card payments. Using the NFC chip that current iPhone models use for Apple Pay, this technology would compete with companies like Square and all payment systems that require a secondary hardware device for payments.
Meanwhile, Intel has released new Alder Lake chips that it claims beat out M1 Max in performance tests. I'ts true - benchmarks confirm better performance. However, these new Intel chips require significant more power and only score 4% faster than Apple Silicon.
Our hosts round out the show with tips for filtering unknown senders in Messages, highlighting MagSafe battery packs, and answer listener questions.
Contact our hosts
- Submit anonymous tips on Signal: +1 863-703-0668
- @stephenrobles on Twitter
- @WGallagher on Twitter
- Truebill: Save $100s a year by tracking and cancelling your subscriptions with Truebill! Visit truebill.com/appleinsider to get started.
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts
Links from the show
- Notes of interest from Apple's blockbuster holiday quarter earnings report
- Face ID works while wearing a mask in the iOS 15.4 beta
- Latest macOS, iPadOS betas finally introduce Universal Control
- TitleCase - Text Conversion Solutions
- TextSoap - Automate Your Text Cleanup
- Keyboard Maestro app
- Hazel for Mac
- New iOS, iPadOS and macOS updates fix many security issues, including Safari bug
- Apple releases iOS 15.3 & iPadOS 15.3 with bug fixes
- Apple seeds macOS 12.2 to public with rebuilt Apple Music, minor updates
- Apple's tvOS 15.3 and HomePod software 15.3 updates ship with stability & performance improvements
- Apple issues watchOS 8.4 update with bug fixes, security updates
- Apple Watch gets new Unity Lights watch face
- Apple working on tech to allow iPhones to directly process credit cards
- Redesigned Mac mini with M1 Pro & M1 Max set for spring Apple event
- What to expect from Apple in early 2022 - MacBook Air, Mac mini, iMac Pro, and more
- Benchmarks show that Intel's Alder Lake chips aren't M1 Max killers
- Anker 622 Magnetic Battery (MagGo)
- Ethos and Icon microphone review: Approachable, high-end audio perfect for podcast creators
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.
Podcast artwork from Basic Apple Guy. Download the free wallpaper pack here.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:
Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast — and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.