Social networking app Path introduces The Shop, text and voice messaging in updatePath on Wednesday released version 3.0 of its iOS app, bringing one-to-one and group messaging as well as an in-app store called The Shop, which offers access to "stickers" and special photo filters.
With the newest update, Path users can now communicate through rich one-to-one and group messages that support text, voice, location information, stickers and music or other media.
Path's messaging feature is akin to Facebook's recent update that joined the network's messaging services, which now included VoIP in North America, into one app. Unlike Facebook's implementation, however, Path allows users to insert special content like songs into the conversation.
In The Shop, Path has consolidated its premium photo filters and new sticker packs into one location. Previously, the $0.99 filters were available to buy within the camera feature.
As for the new stickers, which are sold in packs, the artwork is large and well-accomplished, adding a certain flair to messages that emoticons can't capture. While the purchasable digital decals may seem like an unnecessary addition, the in-app buys help support Path, which is looking to turn a profit on its popular service.
Finally, version 3.0 comes with a number of bug fixes and overall improvements making the app snappier and easier to use.
Path's new features are available now as a free 23.1MB download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Yelp comes to Apple Watch in latest app update, brings nearby business discovery, search, ratings, more
- AppleInsider's iOS app gets support for native iPhone 6 and 6 Plus screen resolutions, Apple Watch companion app in update
- IFTTT's streamlined 'Do' apps get Apple Watch treatment, iPad support
- Apple's iOS App Store widens revenue lead over Google Play in Q1 2015
- Microsoft updates Office 2016 for Mac Preview, intros new iPhone apps for Office 365