Apple touts tax holiday savings for customers in 10 statesTen states in the Union will soon let their residents buy various products with no tax added for a limited time, and Apple is taking advantage of the tax holidays by informing customers in those areas how to save hundreds on their next Apple Store purchase.
A new page appeared recently on Apple's web site, explaining how customers can take advantage of their state tax holiday period. The site lists ten states as participating in the holiday, each with a no-tax period falling early in August.
The states listed on Apple's site are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Alabama, Florida, Missouri, New Mexico, and North and South Carolina all have their sales tax holiday running from Aug. 2 through Aug 4. Tennessee's sales tax holiday runs from Aug. 2 through Aug. 5. For Georgia, the holiday covers Aug. 8 and 9, while Massachusetts' holiday runs over Aug. 10 and 11.
The different states have different cost thresholds determining whether an item is sales tax exempt. In Alabama, for instance, the total sale price for all exempt items cannot exceed $750, while in Georgia that limit is raised to $1,000, and in Louisiana it is $2,500.
The states also place limits on what types of items can qualify. New Mexico, for example, limits the price for exempt computers at $1,000, while accessories can sell for no more than $500. South Carolina places no limit on the total purchase, but computer, software, and accessory purchases must be made for personal use.
More detail on each state's policy is available at Apple's site.
On Topic: General
- Apple, Silicon Valley raised millions to fund Hillary Clinton platform backing tech's positions on encryption, privacy, innovation, patents, education
- Disney said to be weighing Twitter purchase to bolster online video efforts
- Sonos brings PLAY:1 & PLAY:5 speakers to Apple's online & retail stores
- Photos show Apple's newly relocated & revamped Brea Mall store [u]
- This week on AI: iPhone 7 & Apple Watch Series 2 review, McLaren buyout rumors, macOS Sierra launch & more