Apple releases OS X 10.8.3 with Safari 6.0.3, new iTunes integration and bug fixesApple on Thursday finally released OS X 10.8.3 after months of beta testing, bringing a number of new features to Mountain Lion including the ability to redeem iTunes gift cards for the Mac App Store using a Mac's built-in camera, Windows 8 Boot Camp support and a fix for the "F:///" detection bug, among others.
Just two days after the latest 12D78 beta build was seeded to developers, Apple has released a public version of the latest incremental update for Mountain Lion in OS X 10.8.3.
Of the various system improvements and bug fixes, 10.8.3 brings a unique iTunes gift card redemption redemption feature that allows users to snap a picture of the physical card straight from the Mac App Store using the Mac's built-in camera. Also added to the OS is Boot Camp support for Macs with 3 terabyte hard drives and compatibility with Microsoft's newest Windows 8.
The release also fixes an obscure detection bug discovered in February that crashed almost any OS X app when the phrase "F:///" was entered into a text box.
Updated features described in the release notes:
- The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using Macs built-in camera
- Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
- Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
- A Fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly
- A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
- A fix for an issue that causes audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
- Includes Safari 6.0.3
Apple has provided a complete list of changes in a dedicated article on its Support Webpage.
OS X 10.8.3 is a 540.46MB download (793.69MB for the Combo version) and can be downloaded through Software Update or Apple's Support Downloads page.
In addition to the new version of Mountain Lion, Apple issued security updates for client and server iterations of Lion and Snow Leopard. Those updates are alos available through Software Update, and come in at 31.42MB for Lion, 79.33MB for Lion Server, 316.63MB for Snow Leopard and 391.63MB for Snow Leopard Server.
On Topic: Mac OS X
- Apple adds Notification Center widget, enhances syncing performance in iTunes 12.1 update
- Apple's OS X 10.10.2 update fixes Wi-Fi connection issues, improves iCloud, patches security holes
- OS X 10.10.2 will fix years-old Thunderbolt hardware vulnerability
- Adobe acknowledges critical remote vulnerability in Flash, exploits already in the wild
- How to safely move your Mac's iPhoto library onto an external drive