BlackBerry BBM coming to Apple's iOS, Google Android this summerBlackBerry's BBM messaging service will go cross-platform this summer, when official BBM applications will launch on iOS and Android.
BBM will be compatible with iOS 6 and Android 4.0 when it debuts this summer. The initial release will include multi-person chats, as well as the ability to share photos and voice notes.
The move will end exclusivity for one of the most popular features from the BlackBerry platform.
"The time is definitely right for BBM to become a multi-platform mobile service," Andrew Bocking, executive vice president of Software Product Management and Ecosystem at BlackBerry said in a press release. "BBM has always been one of the most engaging services for BlackBerry customers, enabling them to easily connect while maintaining a valued level of personal privacy. Were excited to offer iOS and Android users the possibility to join the BBM community."
Apple has its own proprietary messaging service known as iMessage. It allows users of Apple products including iPhones, iPads and Macs to chat with one another, but iMessage is not available on competing platforms like Android.
Features including voice, screen sharing and channels are planned for future BBM updates. BBM Channels will allow individuals and groups to create a dedicated channel and share information with followers, similar to Twitter.
According to BlackBerry, BBM has more than 60 million monthly active users, and more than 51 million of those people use BBM for an average of 90 minutes per day. BBM customers send and receive more than 10 billion messages each day.
On Topic: Google
- Half of data connections by top 500 Android apps are 'covert' with no effect on user experience
- Silicon Valley bracing for severe El Nino flooding; Apple, Campus 2 outside primary flood zone
- Apple's annual iPhone release cycle supercharges switchers' leaps from Android, Windows Phone
- Apple acquired 15 companies this year, but the identity of 6 remain a mystery
- Google bringing expanded offline maps, navigation to iOS