Office comes to iOS: Microsoft releases Office 365 app for iPhoneMicrosoft on Friday released its Office Mobile 365 app for Apple's iPhone, allowing users with subscriptions to the productivity suite to access Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents on the go.
With Microsoft's Office Mobile, users can view documents stored in Microsoft's SkyDrive, SkyDrive Pro or SharePoint, as well as read and edit Office docs sent as email attachments. Additionally, owners of Windows machines can remotely access documents that were recently viewed on a desktop client.
Another PC-only feature is "Resume Reading," which allows Word documents opened from SkyDrive or SkyDrive Pro to automatically jump to where users left off on their Windows computer or tablet.
Microsoft says documents are optimized before being viewed on the iPhone, while support for charts, animations, SmartArt Graphics and shapes comes built-in. Also available is an in-app Slide Navigator in PowerPoint and a function to help with presentation practice.
From the release notes:
Make quick edits and share:
* Edit - You can make quick edits to Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.
* Documents Remain Intact - Formatting and content remain intact when you edit Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents on your phone.
* Edit While Offline - Your device doesnt have to be continuously connected to the network to work on an Office document that is stored online. You can view and edit recently used documents even while youre offline. Your changes will be saved online when your device reconnects to the network or to Wi-Fi.
* Create You can create new Word and Excel documents on your phone.
* Comments - You can review comments that have been made in Word and Excel documents on your phone and add your own comments.
* Share - When youre done with your edits or comments, simply send the document in email or save it to SkyDrive or SharePoint.
Office Mobile comes in at 58MB and is available from the App Store as a free companion app for existing Office 365 subscribers. Microsoft Office 2013 for PC is required for recent document and resume reading.
On Topic: Microsoft
- New Office for Mac 2011 update fixes Outlook sync bug with OS X El Capitan
- Microsoft debuts Lumia 950 & 950XL phones, Display Dock, Band 2 fitness tracker
- Microsoft unveils Surface Book laptop & Surface Pro 4 tablet with new Surface Pen
- Microsoft exec jabs at Apple, tweets drawing of 'converged' toaster and refrigerator
- Microsoft updates Skype for iOS 9 with Split View multitasking, Spotlight search support