EA confirms 'SimCity' for Mac OS X to be released Aug. 29After being pushed back over two months, "SimCity" will finally make its Mac debut at the end of August following a rocky PC launch fraught with network connectivity and overall quality issues.
Game publishers Electronic Arts and Maxis announced the Mac release date on Monday via the official SimCity Twitter account, saying the hotly anticipated title would be available starting Aug. 29.
EA originally planned for SimCity to arrive on Mac in June as an exclusive digital download through the company's Origin service.
In an ambitious undertaking, SimCity planned to have cross-platform collaboration between Mac and PC players. However, SimCity's digital rights management (DRM) implementation required a persistent connection to the Internet, even during single player mode, which subsequently overwhelmed game servers at launch.
EA and Maxis said in June that SimCity wasn't "ready for primetime," and pushed the release back to August.
While Aug. 29 launch date has been confirmed, it is unknown if the publishers will be making downloadable content now available to PC users accessible on the Mac at launch.
On Topic: General
- Apple urges Supreme Court to end long-running Samsung patent case
- Apple CEO Tim Cook, VP Lisa Jackson to host Clinton fundraising event
- Microsoft lays off 2,850 more people in continued retreat from phones
- AppleInsider podcast talks Q3 earnings, more 'iPhone 7' rumors, 'Apple Car,' more
- Apple confirms plans for World Trade Center store in New York City