Thursday, August 08, 2013, 06:34 pm PT (09:34 pm ET)
Google Play Books for iOS updated with textbook rental supportGoogle on Thursday updated its iBooks-like Google Play Books port, bringing in-app rentals, highlighting and note taking for scanned books, as well as other features to the iOS title.
Now at version 1.6.0, Google Play Books for iOS now supports in-app rentals, which allows users to access select books from the service's "millions of titles" on their iPhone, iPad or iPod.
In addition to existing rental titles, users can choose from Google Play's newly introduced digital textbook library. According to Google's website, students can save up to 80 percent off the cost of physical textbooks by renting through its service.
With the new service, users can highlight, make notes and, in some cases, copy text from textbooks during the rental period. A quick look at the Google Play store shows a number of titles are already available.
Aside from textbooks the latest version of Google Play Books allows users to mark up books compiled from scanned pages. A new sepia reading mode and stability improvements round out the update's changes.
Google Play Books comes in at 16.6MB and can be downloaded via the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Beats Music enables in-app subscriptions with latest update in bid for more users
- Facebook updates Paper app with notifications, photo comments, 'new story' buttons, more
- Yahoo gives Flickr complete overhaul with new design, HD video and image search
- Facebook unveils new 'Nearby Friends' geolocation meetup feature
- RunKeeper's new Breeze app goes beyond workouts to count daily steps via Apple's M7 chip in iPhone 5s