Apple's 'iPhone 5S' and 'iPhone 5C' to launch in Japan on Sept. 20Japanese publication Nikkei reported Wednesday that Apple is set to release both a next-generation "iPhone 5S," as well as a less-expensive "iPhone 5C," in the country on Sept. 20 through cellular carriers SoftBank and KDDI.
Rendering of "iPhone 5C" based on reportedly leaked schematics.
According to the business focused publication (via CNET), Apple will release the two handsets simultaneously on Sept. 20, a date that jibes with a rumor that claimed the company is planning to announce the devices at a special Sept. 10 iPhone event.
In addition to the supposed release date, the publication said Apple will debut a new gold color option for the iPhone 5S, a rumor that has quickly gained traction over the past week.
Apple's current partner carriers SoftBank and KDDI are expected to have both the iPhone 5S and 5C available on launch, while NTT DoCoMo will once again go without.
Beyond a purported launch date, not much else was provided in the way of device details. The newspaper echoed rumors and speculation regarding the inclusion of a fingerprint reader and upgraded internals for the 5S, while little was said about the 5C.
On Topic: iPhone
- Honda launches 2017 Accord with Apple CarPlay option
- YouTube rolls out Periscope-style live streaming support on mobile
- Sketchy 'iPhone 7' pricing rumor points to 'Pro' models, 32 & 256GB capacities
- T-Mobile thanks customers with hour of in-flight Gogo access, free European roaming
- Updated ambient light, proximity sensors in 'iPhone 7' prohibit use of legacy cases