Netflix updated for iOS 7 with HD streaming, AirPlay supportNetflix on Thursday updated its official application for Apple's iOS, adding high-definition content and AirPlay streaming support for iOS 7 users.
Netflix version 5.0 is now available for download on the iOS App Store. The latest version also includes playback optimizations and stability improvements.
The update represents something of a change of strategy for Netflix, as officials for the subscription service said in 2011 that they had no plans to support AirPlay. At the time, the company suggested that users simply use its dedicated application found on the Apple TV.
But now users will be able to beam content from their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a connected Apple TV without needing to navigate the application on the set-top box.
The new "Super HD" support in Netflix 5.0 for iOS also comes just a week after the company's high-definition support landed on Apple TV. Super HD is most useful for 1080p displays that can take advantage of higher bit-rate streams.
On Topic: App Store
- Vine launches on Apple Watch, adds new content discovery features for iPhone
- Poll: What is your favorite iOS note taking app?
- Apple's online store services, Maps suffer widespread outage
- Five new Apple TV ads highlight games and content from tvOS App Store
- Apple updates App Store search engine algorithms, results go beyond metadata