Netflix updated for iOS 7 with HD streaming, AirPlay supportNetflix on Thursday updated its official application for Apple's iOS, adding high-definition content and AirPlay streaming support for iOS 7 users.
Netflix version 5.0 is now available for download on the iOS App Store. The latest version also includes playback optimizations and stability improvements.
The update represents something of a change of strategy for Netflix, as officials for the subscription service said in 2011 that they had no plans to support AirPlay. At the time, the company suggested that users simply use its dedicated application found on the Apple TV.
But now users will be able to beam content from their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to a connected Apple TV without needing to navigate the application on the set-top box.
The new "Super HD" support in Netflix 5.0 for iOS also comes just a week after the company's high-definition support landed on Apple TV. Super HD is most useful for 1080p displays that can take advantage of higher bit-rate streams.
On Topic: App Store
- Federal appeals court declines to stay Smartflash case against Apple
- Yahoo debuts Livetext silent video messaging app
- This week on AppleInsider: Apple's record Q3, 'Apple Car' news, Back to School promo & more
- App Store puts 100 iOS titles on sale for 99 cents, YouTube app updated with 'vertical video' support
- Apple celebrates 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act with App Store collection