Users report trackpad, keyboard lockups with Apple's newest MacBook ProsOwners of Haswell-equipped Retina MacBook Pros have taken to Apple's user-to-user support forums en masse, complaining of repeated keyboard and trackpad freezes that can be remedied only with a hard reset.
The largest thread related to the issue features more than 250 replies spanning 17 pages. Users have reported seeing the problem with every hardware configuration of the slim notebooks, with both 13- and 15-inch models seemingly equally affected.
Most users say that a hard system reset is the only cure when the systems freeze, while there are sporadic reports that cycling sleep mode by closing the lid and reopening it can reanimate the input devices. Several users who have tried the old standby troubleshooting step of resetting the laptop's System Management Controller via a keyboard combination on startup say that it does not provide any relief.
A conflict between OS X Mavericks, the latest revision to Cupertino's desktop operating system, and the new MacBook Pro hardware has not been completely ruled out. Owners of previous-generation Retina MacBook Pros, however, do not report similar issues after the Mavericks update.
Apple updated the Retina display-equipped MacBook Pro line last week, migrating from Intel's Ivy Bridge architecture to a new Haswell-based system featuring the Santa Clara company's Iris Pro integrated graphics chip. The move has reaped performance increases of two to eight percent across the board, while adding hours of battery life to the laptops.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Ten One Design's Inklet is first 3rd-party app to support Apple's Force Touch trackpad
- This week on AppleInsider: Apple's ambitious TV plans, Campus 2 by drone, AAPL joins DJIA, more
- Review: Apple's early 2015 13" MacBook Pro with Force Touch trackpad
- First look: Apple's Force Touch trackpad on the early 2015 MacBook Pro
- Apple issues new OS X 10.10.3 beta, fixing bug that affected latest MacBooks