Thursday, October 31, 2013, 12:21 pm PT (03:21 pm ET)
iPad Air sells out online in Hong Kong hours after sales openThe Hong Kong outlet of Apple's online store reopened at 12:01 a.m. Hong Kong time with shipping estimates of 1-2 weeks Apple's newest tablet, then promptly sold out in less than three hours.
All color and storage combinations of the iPad Air were listed as "Currently Unavailable" as of 2:30 a.m. Hong Kong time, reports CNET. In-store sales of the slate will not begin until Nov. 2 in Hong Kong, with Apple employing the same reservations system they did with the iPhone 5s.
Other nations where the iPad Air is already on sale, like Japan and Australia, have not yet seen the device sell out.
Hong Kong is a popular destination for tourists — especially those from mainland China — purchasing Apple products, as the Chinese protectorate is a "free port" and does not collect sales tax. The iPad Air starts at HK$3888, or approximately $501, in Hong Kong, nearly $90 cheaper than the mainland and $70 cheaper than Australia.
On Topic: iPad
- Apple's iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 now available for pickup at select US Apple Stores
- iPad Air 2 teardown reveals lower capacity battery, internal layout tweaks
- Unboxing Apple's new iPad Air 2, with Smart Case & Smart Cover
- AppleInsider 2.0 for iPhone and iPad now available as free downloads from Apple's App Store
- Review roundup: iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deemed best in class, but changes mostly iterative [u]