Thursday, October 31, 2013, 12:21 pm PT (03:21 pm ET)
iPad Air sells out online in Hong Kong hours after sales openThe Hong Kong outlet of Apple's online store reopened at 12:01 a.m. Hong Kong time with shipping estimates of 1-2 weeks Apple's newest tablet, then promptly sold out in less than three hours.
All color and storage combinations of the iPad Air were listed as "Currently Unavailable" as of 2:30 a.m. Hong Kong time, reports CNET. In-store sales of the slate will not begin until Nov. 2 in Hong Kong, with Apple employing the same reservations system they did with the iPhone 5s.
Other nations where the iPad Air is already on sale, like Japan and Australia, have not yet seen the device sell out.
Hong Kong is a popular destination for tourists — especially those from mainland China — purchasing Apple products, as the Chinese protectorate is a "free port" and does not collect sales tax. The iPad Air starts at HK$3888, or approximately $501, in Hong Kong, nearly $90 cheaper than the mainland and $70 cheaper than Australia.
On Topic: iPad
- Next-gen iPad Air with Touch ID, new gold color option may also debut at Apple's Sept. 9 event
- Apple's rumored iPhone 6 mobile payment system seen as 'most legitimate potential threat' to PayPal
- Apple will re-bid on nixed $1 billion LA Unified School District iPad contract
- Cook says tablet sales slump is 'speed bump,' looks toward future growth
- Rumor: Apple's jumbo-sized 12.9-inch iPad in the works for early 2015 debut