Apple releases OS X 10.9.2 with fix for SSL security flaw, plus new FaceTime AudioApple on Tuesday released an incremental update for its Mavericks operating system, with OS X 10.9.2 addressing a critical SSL-related security flaw for Mac users, and also adding a handful of new features, most notably additions for FaceTime calls and iMessage user blocking.
The newly released update also gives users the ability to make and receive FaceTime audio calls. This functionality was previously limited to iOS devices.
With OS X 10.9.2, users also gain the ability to use call waiting when using FaceTime audio and video. Users on iMessages can also block incoming messages from individual senders.
As for the "goto fail" SSL bug, AppleInsider was first to report on Monday that Apple was providing its internal employees with a prerelease build that addresses the flaw. Such measures signal that the public release of a new OS X build is imminent.
The SSL security issue was also addressed in iOS 7.0.6, an update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch that was delivered late last week.
Additional features in the latest version of Mavericks, now available through Software Update on the OS X App Store, include:
- Adds the ability to block incoming iMessages from individual senders
- Improves the accuracy of unread counts in Mail
- Resolves an issue that prevented Mail from receiving new messages from certain providers
- Improves AutoFill compatibility in Safari
- Fixes an issue that may cause audio distortion on certain Macs
- Improves reliability when connecting to a file server using SMB2
- Fixes an issue that may cause VPN connections to disconnect
- Improves VoiceOver navigation in Mail and Finder
On Topic: Mac OS X
- Algoriddim djay Pro comes to Mac, TurboTax debuts new iOS app for tax season
- Apple issues Safari 8.0.3, 7.1.3 and 6.2.3 betas to developers with bug fixes, general improvements
- Pixelmator unveils major updates for iPad and Mac, Fleksy adds extensions and GIFs
- Art+Tech: Sunday MASS art dance party taps Mac apps for 3D projection mapping
- Apple releases third beta of OS X 10.10.2 with focuses on Wi-Fi, Mail & VoiceOver