Rumor: Apple's 'iWatch' to have 'slightly rectangular' 2.5" display, wireless chargingA fresh set of rumors about Apple's anticipated "iWatch" were supplied on Thursday by mainstream media outlet, which was told by an unnamed source that the device will boast wireless charging capabilities, and will sport a slightly rectangular watch face.
"iWatch" concept by Martin Hajek.
What to expect:
- Early 2015 launch
- Health & fitness focus
- Biometric sensors
- iPhone connectivity
- Two sizes for men & women
➤ Learn more
The display of the watch is expected to be a touchscreen supplied by LG Display, and Taiwan-based Quanta Computer Inc. is said to be planning to start production of the device in July.
The source also claimed that the device will include a heart rate monitor from Heptagon that will track the wearer's pulse. That aligns with rumors from over a year ago that said the device is expected to focus on biometrics for health and fitness feedback.
The so-called "iWtach" also expected to feature wireless charging — something The New York Times also claimed earlier this year.
Apple is said to be planning a media event for this October where it's expected to introduce the company's "first wearable device," which is widely believed to be a wrist-worn connected device. The "iWatch" is believed to tap into the new HealthKit tools for developers that Apple will include in the forthcoming iOS 8 mobile operating system, which is currently available in beta for testing.
Other recent reports have suggested the device will sport a flexible OLED touchscreen. Such technology could allow Apple to introduce unique designs not possible with traditional LCD panels.
On Topic: Future Hardware
- Apple Watch website revamped with new UI and UX details
- Next-gen iPhone rumored to sport dual-lenses, DSLR quality in 'biggest camera jump ever'
- WatchKit tools reveal Apple Watch screen resolutions, Dynamic Type support, more
- Apple iSight supplier Sony unveils new 21MP CMOS sensor with 4K video, phase detection AF
- Apple Watch chip suppliers rumored to start production soon, orders at 30M to 40M units