'iPad mini' event will be streamed live to Apple TV, Mac & iOS devicesApple has added a new channel to its Apple TV set-top box called "Apple Events" that will live stream the company's media briefing today. In addition, the event will also be streamed to iOS devices and Macs.
Users are invited to tune in at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern to watch the "Apple Special Event" live. The presentation will be held at the California Theatre in San Jose.
In addition to a live stream of the event, Apple TV users can also watch Apple's other presentations, including the iPhone 5 unveiling, the 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference, and the introduction of the third-generation iPad with Retina display. Streaming via Apple TV requires a second- or third-generation model with software 5.0.2 or later.
For those on a Mac, the live stream requires Safari 4 or later on OS X 10.6 or later. On iOS devices, Safari on iOS 4.2 or later is required. The stream will be made available on Apple's website.
Apple has on occasion offered live streams of its events, most recently in September of 2010. However, those events were streamed to Mac and iOS devices, not the Apple TV.
A week ago, Apple sent invitations to members of the press inviting them to see "a little more." The company is expected to introduce a new, smaller iPad with a 7.85-inch display.
Also potentially on tap today are new Macs, most prominently a new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. The company may also introduce a new version of iBooks, and a revamped version of its iTunes desktop software.
AppleInsider will have full, live coverage of today's event.
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Intel details new Skylake chips hinting at Apple's future 15" MacBook Pro specs
- 2016 expected to be a big year for Apple's MacBook lineup, upgrades to arrive in coming months
- Consumer Reports survey finds Apple most reliable laptop brand
- Rumor: Apple to unveil redesigned MacBook Airs, new 15" model at WWDC 2016
- Record Low Prices: Apple's iMac 4K falls $200 to $1,299, iMac 5K to $1,599, 15" MacBook Pro to $1699 at B&H ahead of Black Friday