Time Magazine names Apple's iPhone 5 its 'Gadget of the Year'In its annual list of the best gadgets available, Time has named Apple's new iPhone 5 the top device of 2012, while the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display also made the cut.
The magazine's list, compiled by author Harry McCracken, praised the iPhone 5 as "one of the most artfully polished gadgets anyone's ever built." He said it outperforms other "nifty" smartphones, like Samsung's Galaxy S III.
"When it comes to melding hardware, software and services so tightly that the seams fade away, Apple still has no peer," he said.
In taking first place, Apple edged out Nintendo's newly released Wii U game console. The new platform includes a controller with a tablet-style touchscreen.
Though the Wii U GamePad is tablet-like, it's not a direct competitor to Apple's iPad, as the controller is actually driven wirelessly by the Wii U console. As such, Nintendo's new GamePad accessory cannot be used as a gaming or tablet-style device on the go.
Also on Time's list is Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, taking sixth place. McCracken called Apple's top-of-the-line notebook a "joy to use."
The full list of Time's 'Top 10 Gadgets' of 2012 is included below:
- 1. Apple iPhone 5
- 2. Nintendo Wii U
- 3. Sony Cyber-shot RX100
- 4. Raspberry Pi Model B
- 5. Lytro
- 6. Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
- 7. Microsoft Surface with Windows RT
- 8. Samsung Galaxy Note II
- 9. Nest
- 10. Simple.TV
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Touch ID, OLED touch bar to highlight thinner MacBook Pro models in Q4
- OWC expands Boot Camp compatibility to all SSDs, eases storage upgrade path for Mac
- New Immersion lawsuit adds Apple's iPhone 6s, MacBook to patent infringement row
- Apple to adopt AMD's new Polaris graphics chips in upcoming Macs - report
- Rumor: Ultrathin MacBook update coming in second half of 2016, will feature redesigned hinge