Flickr for iOS update brings new live filters, editing toolsYahoo's official Flickr app for iOS was given new filter capabilities in an update on Thursday that brings it into direct competition with Instagram, as well as Apple's built-in Camera app in the upcoming release of iOS 7.
The latest update for Flickr brings the photo sharing app to version 2.20.1134 and adds all new filters for image editing. Flickr now has live filters, allowing users to scroll through and see the effects a particular filter will have on a photo before the photo is taken.
In addition to live filters, the update lets users customize existing filters in order to tweak their effects to their choosing. Version 2.20.1134 also adds new camera tools making shot composition easier with grids, pinch-to-zoom, focus lock, and exposure control.
Yahoo has also added professional editing tools to its app. Users can now enhance, crop, and sharpen photos, as well as adjust color and levels or add vignettes.
Flickr is now, to an extent, playing catch-up with Instagram, which has already moved on to add short video sharing to its app's capabilities. Apple, too has added some live filter features to its own camera app, features which will see release with the impending launch of iOS 7.
The new version of Flickr is available as a free download in the App Store. The 20.8MB update requires an iPad, iPhone, or iPod running iOS 5.1 or later.
On Topic: Yahoo
- Yahoo outs plans for Apple Watch support, ReSound debuts Watch app for hearing aids
- Google's search deal with Apple expires in early 2015, could bring new default to Safari
- Weather Channel providing Apple more detailed data for iOS 8 Weather app than Yahoo did
- Yahoo Finance frets that Apple's iPhone, iPad "only" grab the majority of all mobile shopping traffic
- Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine