Google adds free voice calling to Google Hangouts for iOS, incoming calls to Google VoiceThe Google Hangouts iOS app received a major update on Friday, with the latest iteration bringing free in-app voice calling to numbers within the U.S. and Canada, as well as incoming call support to a user's Google Voice number.
Google Hangouts for iOS version 1.3.0 allows iPhone, iPad and iPod touch owners to place in-app phone calls to any number in the United States and Canada. The new feature brings the software in line with Google Hangouts for desktop computers, which already boasts the functionality.
For now, free calling is limited to North America, though international calls can be made for a fee. In addition, users can now receive calls to their Google Voice numbers, which can be setup to ring the app directly.
Finally, the messaging side of the app now supports inline animated GIFs, while incoming messages will only pause music instead of stopping the track completely.
Google Hangouts for iOS is a free 12.5MB download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Entry into $34B console gaming market seen as largest opportunity for new Apple TV
- EU clears Apple and labels of colluding against free streaming music services, turns eye to App Store fees
- Apple's impressive App Store growth continues to be overlooked by Wall Street, Macquarie says
- Adidas buys fitness app maker Runtastic for $239 million
- The best virtual reality apps for iPhone, compatible with Google Cardboard