Google adds free voice calling to Google Hangouts for iOS, incoming calls to Google VoiceThe Google Hangouts iOS app received a major update on Friday, with the latest iteration bringing free in-app voice calling to numbers within the U.S. and Canada, as well as incoming call support to a user's Google Voice number.
Google Hangouts for iOS version 1.3.0 allows iPhone, iPad and iPod touch owners to place in-app phone calls to any number in the United States and Canada. The new feature brings the software in line with Google Hangouts for desktop computers, which already boasts the functionality.
For now, free calling is limited to North America, though international calls can be made for a fee. In addition, users can now receive calls to their Google Voice numbers, which can be setup to ring the app directly.
Finally, the messaging side of the app now supports inline animated GIFs, while incoming messages will only pause music instead of stopping the track completely.
Google Hangouts for iOS is a free 12.5MB download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Native apps for Apple Watch will arrive this fall, Apple still won't reveal sales
- Apple updates WWDC app for 2015 event, confirms June 8 keynote at 10 a.m. Pacific
- Kindle for iOS adds 'Bookerly' font, Fox Movie of the Day app promotes iTunes flash sales
- Apple Store app updated with two-step authentication, deeper Touch ID integration
- Spotify gains video, moods, and podcasts, Facebook Messenger rolls out video calls globally