Friday, October 18, 2013, 05:28 pm PT (08:28 pm ET)
Google adds free voice calling to Google Hangouts for iOS, incoming calls to Google VoiceThe Google Hangouts iOS app received a major update on Friday, with the latest iteration bringing free in-app voice calling to numbers within the U.S. and Canada, as well as incoming call support to a user's Google Voice number.
Google Hangouts for iOS version 1.3.0 allows iPhone, iPad and iPod touch owners to place in-app phone calls to any number in the United States and Canada. The new feature brings the software in line with Google Hangouts for desktop computers, which already boasts the functionality.
For now, free calling is limited to North America, though international calls can be made for a fee. In addition, users can now receive calls to their Google Voice numbers, which can be setup to ring the app directly.
Finally, the messaging side of the app now supports inline animated GIFs, while incoming messages will only pause music instead of stopping the track completely.
Google Hangouts for iOS is a free 12.5MB download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- Facebook's Slingshot adds 'reactions-to-reactions' in latest update, bypasses reply to unlock
- Office for iPad update adds support for third-party fonts, ability to send as PDF
- Indiegogo and Wikipedia release new iOS apps, Waze adds updated voice guidance
- Shazam launches Mac app with always-on listening mode
- Briefly: Readdle slashes up to 70% off iOS app titles in honor of 7th birthday