Thursday, February 20, 2014, 05:54 am PT (08:54 am ET)
Fleksy gesture-based keyboard SDK now available to all iOS developersJust over two months after launching a new SDK for their gesture-based keyboard into beta, Fleksy on Thursday announced that the free program is now open to all developers and that a slew of new apps have come on board.
According to Fleksy, developers can integrate the keyboard in minutes without making alterations to their app or adding new code. The company hopes that the ease of implementation and a feature that allows users to seamlessly switch between Fleksy and the default iOS keyboard will help to drive adoption.
"We're very excited to finally make our SDK available to hundreds of thousands of developers around the world. We learned a lot from the private beta and today's release brings the most beautiful, streamlined 3rd-party keyboard experience yet for iOS" said Fleksy COO Ioannis Verdelis.
Third-party keyboards have yet to catch on in iOS the way they have in alternative operatins systems, largely because Apple does not provide a system-wide method for keyboard replacement. Fleksy's SDK uses iOS APIs that give app developers the option to develop custom input methods for their apps, which is why it must be enabled by developers.
Fleksy first revealed their SDK ambitions last December, with apps like BlindSquare, GV Connect, Launch Center Pro, and Wordbox being the first to support it. Joining the list alongside the SDK's public launch are You Doodle, Cotton Notes, Write for iOS, Tap Forms Organizer, SnapStatus, Vert 2 and MUDRammer.
On Topic: App Store
- Adobe's Photoshop Mix for iPad gets extensibility, panoramic file support, more in update
- ESPN updates SportsCenter for iOS with new football features, Secret adds interactive questions
- Smash hit 'BioShock' comes to iPhone, iPad with iOS-specific controls
- Instagram's new Hyperlapse app simplifies timelapses, Square's Cash 2.0 allows transfers to all via text message
- Google bolsters iOS productivity suite with Slides, updates to Docs and Sheets