Apple releases iOS 7-styled iTunes Festival app update, does not require iOS 7.1Apple on Thursday released the latest version of its iTunes Festival app, which some insiders said would be the harbinger of iOS 7.1, though it appears the app only requires iOS 7 to run.
The new iTunes Festival app boasts an updated iOS 7 aesthetic, streaming video support and other refinements ahead of the upcoming SXSW conference. It was previously rumored the app would require iOS 7.1 to function, though it appears not be the case.
On Tuesday, the well-connected John Gruber of Daring Fireball heard from "little birdie" that the now-released iTunes Festival app would require iOS 7.1, the expected update to Apple's mobile operating system. Putting the pieces together — SXSW starts on Friday with the iTunes festival portion beginning next Tuesday — Gruber opined that iOS 7.1 would see release "any day now."
According to the Apple-defined system requirements for iTunes Festival,the app only needs iOS 7.0 to function.
As for the app itself, the title brings a "flat" iOS 7-style redesign, the ability to stream video of live concert performances and view photos of the event.
iTunes Festival version 5.0 is a free 28.2MB download from the App Store.
On Topic: App Store
- The CW launches Apple TV app, no cable login required
- Adobe Lightroom for iOS now supports RAW shooting on iPhone 7, 7 Plus
- Skype for iOS gets Siri and CallKit support in latest update
- Apple activates Search Ads ahead of Oct. 5 launch, gives developers $100 credit for first campaign
- Google launches Allo 'smart' messaging app with Google Assistant AI