Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 04:47 am PT (07:47 am ET)
Apple begins shipping first orders of new iPod touch, iPod nanoCustomers on Tuesday began receiving word that their order for the new fifth-generation iPod touch and seventh-generation iPod nano has shipped and should arrive in the next week [updated]
Readers who received shipping notifications shared with AppleInsider on Tuesday that their orders for the new iPod touch have now shipped from China and are en route to the U.S. Estimated deliveries for standard shipping are before next Monday, Oct. 15.
One reader who provided detailed information on their shipment revealed that the package has been shipped via FedEx from one of the shipper's origin facilities in Kunshan, China. That order was placed on Sept. 14.
Update: Readers also began sending word Tuesday morning that their iPod nano orders have also begun to ship from China. Those units are also scheduled to arrive by next Monday.
The shipments come as Apple has also posted the official user's guide for the new iPod touch on its iBookstore. The fifth-generation media player features a taller 4-inch display, just like the new iPhone 5.
The first shipments being sent out on Tuesday confirms a rumor from last week that claimed the iPod touch would officially go on sale this week. Apple has been taking orders for the new iPod touch since last month, but the company has only promised a shipping timeframe of October.
Supply of the new iPods is said to be limited at launch. The iPod touch and iPhone 5 share the same 4-inch Retina display, and supply of the iPhone 5 has been constrained since it debuted in September.
On Topic: iPod
- Review: Parrot Asteroid Smart in-dash head unit with navigation and app support
- Apple's new $199 iPod touch now available in the UK, other countries as global rollout continues
- Teardown of new $199 16GB iPod touch finds same design & parts as 32GB & 64GB models
- Apple launches $199 16GB iPod touch with rear camera in 6 colors, slashes prices on 32GB & 64GB models
- Apple, Inc. and the pursuit of affordable luxury electronics