Apple reactivates app gift giving with new 'send by' date featureMonths after iOS app gifting was deactivated with iOS 6, Apple has reinstated the feature in time for the holidays, adding a new sending option that allows buyers to pick the date on which a recipient receives their digital present.
New app gifting options as seen on an iPad running iOS 6. | Source: Apple
The revamped Send Gift functionality in the App Store is akin to Apple's recent introduction of Passbook-enabled Apple Store gift cards in that it lets users choose when a present is received, up to 90 days in advance in the case of app gifting.
In the example above, Apple's iOS Game of the Year The Room can be gifted by selecting the action button at the top-right corner of the app's information card and select the "Gift" option. From there, gift givers can select who the app is going to and write a short message if needed. Gifts can be sent immediately or on a scheduled date up to 90 days in advance.
Gifting 1Password on an iPhone 5.
It should be noted that the Send Gift feature allows for multiple recipients, making it easier to share popular apps with friends and family.
On Topic: General
- Review: 'Becoming Steve Jobs' looks to dispel accepted Jobs myth
- Google, Johnson & Johnson to partner on surgical robot technology
- Apple's Tim Cook plans to give away all of his money
- Tim Cook 'deeply disappointed' by new Indiana anti-gay law
- Apple's $848M solar power deal better on back end, says environmental VP Lisa Jackson