47% of iPad mini sales to new customers, cannibalization concerns called 'overblown'A new survey of iPad mini buyers has found that nearly half are new to the platform, suggesting the smaller form factor will help grow Apple's market share in a big way.
The data comes from a survey of more than 1,000 U.S. consumers published on Monday by Morgan Stanley and AlphaWise. Analyst Katy Huberty said although iPad mini sales are clearly cannibalizing some full-size iPad sales, she believes concerns over this trend are "overblown."
The survey found that the iPad mini has accounted for 34 percent of planned iPad purchases, making the 7.9-inch tablet a "key demand driver" for the platform.
However, the poll did indicate that the iPad mini is currently attracting slightly fewer new users than the full-size 9.7-inch iPad. While 47 percent of iPad mini buyers said they were new to the platform, 56 percent of those buying a 9.7-inch iPad were new customers.
Huberty said these numbers show her that the cannibalization risk Apple faces with the iPad mini is "manageable."
The survey also found that Apple grew its tablet installed base the fastest of any company, and its shipment share it expected to stay flat at 50 percent in the U.S. next year. It also found that Apple again has the strongest retention rate in the industry, with 81 percent of iPad owners saying they will stick with Apple.
Among those polled who own an Amazon Kindle Fire, 7 percent said they plan to switch to an iPad, while 2 percent of Samsung tablet owners say they'll buy an Apple tablet. Thirty-six percent of those with no tablet also said they plan to buy an iPad.
On Topic: iPad
- Apple posts "the story behind the Song" featuring old and new music recording technology
- ShopKeep offering merchants free Apple Pay-compatible hardware in bid to compete with Square
- Apple debuts cellular LTE-equipped iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 in China
- Gazelle's $20 cash bonus on working iPad trade-ins expires tonight
- Leading Android fansite recommends Apple Inc iPad Air 2 as best tablet in holiday gift guide