iPad mini shipment times improve to 3-5 days from Online Apple StoreDespite severe constraints throughout the holiday quarter, supply of Apple's iPad mini is finally catching up with demand as the Online Apple Store is now quoting ship-by dates of 3-5 business days.
The change comes one week after Apple kicked off sales of cellular-enabled versions of the iPad mini in China, a market thought to be a major player in the company's future growth. At the time of launch, availability stood at two weeks for the Chinese market and one week for the U.S.
Supply of the hot-selling 7.9-inch tablet has been constrained since the device went on sale in October, with brisk sales amounting to quick stockouts on Apple's online store. The company announced that the iPad mini sold three million units over its first weekend on sale.
In early December, iPad mini availability improved as quoted Online Apple Store shipment estimates fell to one week for the first time since launch.
Apple CEO Tim Cook said in the company's quarterly earnings conference call in October that he thought the smaller iPad, along with the fourth-gen iPad and iPad 2, would be "extremely attractive" stand-ins for PCs. During Apple's most recent conference call for the first fiscal quarter of 2013, Cook said suppliers were having difficulty meeting high demand, but a balance could be reached by the end of the upcoming quarter.
On Topic: iPad
- Microsoft Surface sales boom amid tepid iPad demand
- Apple and IBM intro first MobileFirst app for schools, Watson Element
- Apple TV, iPad utilized in conjunction for patient care at new San Diego hospital
- Tips: To easily stream your media from macOS to iOS locally, use StreamToMe
- Apple poaching GPU designer Imagination Technologies' talent, hiring key personnel away