Mac Pro no longer available from European Online Apple StoresWith European sales of Apple's Mac Pro desktop set to stop on March 1 as new regulatory requirements become active, the computer has been made unavailbable in most of the company's online storefronts in the region.
Germany's Online Apple Store shows the Mac Pro as "currently unavailable." | Source: Apple Store
In late January, Apple announced that it would be halting sales of the venerable Mac Pro on March 1 due to incompatibility with Amendment 1 of Regulation IEC 60950-1. According to Apple, the aging desktop platform is incompatible with the revised standard's requirement for protected fan blades.
Apple noted in the announcement that authorized resellers would be able to purchase the Mac Pro until Feb. 18, but did not previously specify an exact date on which general consumer orders would be discontinued.
The end Mac Pro sales in the region is not expected to have much effect on Apple's revenue stream, as the high-priced desktop was designed for audio and visual professionals.
While the tower computer has not seen a major design change for years, Apple revealed in June 2012 that an updated Mac Pro is coming sometime in 2013, though the machine's specs and release date have yet to be nailed down.
On Topic: Mac Pro
- Lowest Prices Ever: Save $100s on all Mac Pros, each with Free AppleCare and Free Apple Wireless Keyboard & Magic Mouse; Apple Thunderbolt Displays for $750
- Apple's latest Mac Pro continues to cause problems for professional users
- Killer Deal: Free AppleCare with all iMac 5Ks & Mac Pros plus $50-$275 instant discounts, tax savings
- PSW14 Deals: $600 off DSLRs, $300 off Pentax Lenses, $260 off Mac Pros, plus hundreds off lighting systems, kits & more
- Apple debuts $50 security lock adapter for redesigned late-2013 Mac Pro