Mac Pro no longer available from European Online Apple StoresWith European sales of Apple's Mac Pro desktop set to stop on March 1 as new regulatory requirements become active, the computer has been made unavailbable in most of the company's online storefronts in the region.
Germany's Online Apple Store shows the Mac Pro as "currently unavailable." | Source: Apple Store
In late January, Apple announced that it would be halting sales of the venerable Mac Pro on March 1 due to incompatibility with Amendment 1 of Regulation IEC 60950-1. According to Apple, the aging desktop platform is incompatible with the revised standard's requirement for protected fan blades.
Apple noted in the announcement that authorized resellers would be able to purchase the Mac Pro until Feb. 18, but did not previously specify an exact date on which general consumer orders would be discontinued.
The end Mac Pro sales in the region is not expected to have much effect on Apple's revenue stream, as the high-priced desktop was designed for audio and visual professionals.
While the tower computer has not seen a major design change for years, Apple revealed in June 2012 that an updated Mac Pro is coming sometime in 2013, though the machine's specs and release date have yet to be nailed down.
On Topic: Mac Pro
- Apple's latest Mac Pro continues to cause problems for professional users
- Deals: Free Apple Magic Mouse and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle; iMacs & Mac Pros too
- It's Back: Free Apple TV and the lowest prices anywhere on every MacBook + AppleCare bundle (save $200-$800); iMacs & Mac Pros too
- Exclusive Deals: 14 Macs at their lowest prices anywhere (up to $150 off MacBook Airs, $300 off MacBook Pros & $200 off iMacs)
- Last Call: Free Apple SuperDrive and the lowest prices anywhere on MacBook + AppleCare bundles (save $200-$800); iMacs & Mac Pros too