Thursday, August 15, 2013, 11:06 am PT (02:06 pm ET)
China Mobile, Apple still in talks for iPhone dealNo deal has been struck between China Mobile and Apple, as the world's largest carrier revealed this week that talks between the two parties continue.
Apple is rumored to launch a new plastic iPhone this year, which could help sales in China.
Xi Guohua, chairman of China Mobile, said in a press conference that his company is "actively negotiating" with Apple, according to Reuters. That means the situation is largely unchanged from previous reports.
More specifically, Xi said that China Mobile must still resolve "commercial and technology issues" with Apple, and that those matters "need time."
Just weeks ago, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook was in China, and he met with China Mobile to discuss a potential deal with the carrier. China Mobile is the largest prize in the smartphone market in terms of carrier deals, with more than 700 million active subscribers.
On Topic: iPhone
- President Obama reveals he is not allowed to use Apple's iPhone due to security risks
- Apple and China Mobile reportedly seal iPhone deal
- Samsung's #Galaxy11 viral ad fumbles when Franz Beckenbauer tweets from iPhone
- Imminent iPhone launch on China Mobile could add $10B per year in revenue for Apple
- Honda introduces new iPhone-driven in-dash touchscreen