Thursday, September 26, 2013, 03:59 pm PT (06:59 pm ET)
Apple updates iBookstore for authors with enhanced versioning, larger in-book imagesIn an email sent out to authors and publishers on Thursday, Apple announced a number of new features recently added to the iBookstore, including versioning support and increased pixel limits for book images.
According to a copy of the email provided to AppleInsider by reader Gregg, Apple added eight significant backend enhancements to the iBooks Store on iTunes. While the new features may not be immediately visible to the end user, they will make for an easier and richer shopping experience once implemented by content providers.
Apple notes the addition of the following features and updates:
- New Catalog Reports
- Versioning for All Books
- Updated Documentation
- Pixel Limit Increased for Book Images
- How-To: Deliver Custom Samples
- New European Toll-Free Numbers
- iBooks Author Tips and Tricks: Creating Custom Samples
- Thanksgiving Deliveries
Of note, versioning for all books looks to be one of the most substantial upgrades as it will automatically customers to be notified when a new version of a book is available for download. Authors need to submit the new version along with a "What's New in Version" description for the notification to be pushed out to users.
As for the pixel limit increase, Apple notes that the size limit for in-book images has been increased from 2 million to 3.2 million pixels. This does not include cover art, screenshots, or other images not included in the ebook file.
Apple's iBooks iOS app was most recently updated on Sept. 18 and can be downloaded from the App Store for free.
On Topic: General
- Rumor: Google pressured Asus to cancel Android/Windows dual-boot devices
- Apple's Tim Cook meets Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu at Apple HQ
- Apple gobbling up retail market share as Radio Shack, Best Buy shrink
- Construction of Apple's new San Francisco flagship store gets final go ahead
- Apple exploring device pairing with Touch ID, camera privacy using diffusers